How would I fly this chart?

Hi all.
First of all, sorry if this is in the wrong category, I didn’t know of anywhere else to put it.

So heres my question, how would I fly this chart on IF? The main answer I am trying to get is how do I make those curves between fixes?
(For the full chart click here and go to page 7)

10 Likes

Input the fixes into the flightplan and either add the altitudes to the IF-A VNAV, or manually adjust them.
Keeping nav engaged should get you around the curve nicely.
The turns won’t be rounded on the NAV display, but the Autopilot should fly it as a continuous turn

2 Likes

Enter via TNT VOR. Then fly the ARC to TG015 and follow those waypoints. At the end there is that visual left hand turn after you pass TG011 (LT ARC) which you fly to the runway. If you fly a missed approach, follow the dotted line and then fly back to TNT VOR where you may restart the approach.

4 Likes

I’ll try that, It’s not a DME Arc though.

Well you need to be 15.9nm away nonetheless

I’ll add, assuming you are familiar with both the airport and how to fly an RNAV from a jepp, I would really suggest kicking off the autopilot at TG012 (conditions permitting) to hand fly the last 2 turns as it’s a truly incredible approach, and sometimes the autopilot isn’t smooth enough for the more demanding sections of the approach

Edit: where are you flying in from by the way?

1 Like

Those curves are called RF(radius-to-fix) Legs in RNP procedures. It requires you to make a constant radius turn between two fix. In the profile view, it gives you the direction of the turn if it’s a RF leg(LT ARC, RT ARC: left turn, right turn). These legs are hard to be done accurately in IF since you don’t have the sufficient equipment to calculate and navigate your turn, and never use NAV mode for those turns since it will turn your plane to an intercept course with the planned course(30 degrees), then make another turn to be on course. However you can handfly your aircraft to get your track as close as possible with the chart.

TG014 to TG013 and TG012 to TG011 are not RF legs, as shown in the profile view.

2 Likes

This approach is extremely hard. I’ve gone around twice already, decided to divert back to San Salvador. I couldn’t put her down, as the speed I needed to maintain to not stall on that last turn which turns you onto final was too fast to actually let her touch down.

2 Likes

hmm. You’ve got me interested. I will definitely try this when I get home

hmm I just did the approach with NAV and it worked out perfectly. I will try and handfly the turns next time but with NAV everything works out well. The valleys on either side are far enough apart to use NAV without any collisions

I’ve done this with LNAV/VNAV to minimums using IFA-I did fly the last two turns. It’s important to be stabilized early in landing configuration-between TG015/014 is a good place to get the gear/flaps down and set your Vapp. BUT if you’re hand flying-also note the chart says “Re engage LNAV by TG011”

This should be a feature that infinite flight should add. Curves are really useful for more experienced flyers. Maybe a setting to turn it on?

What is a IFA

I’m going to try this approach later, you enter at 8,000 ft over the airport just before the TG018 right?

1 Like

Cross TNT at 8K
TNT->TG018 minimum alt is 7600
TG018->015 min is 7000
Then descend on VNAV via the vertical profile altitudes at the bottom of the chart.

Good luck. Challenging approach for sure-but it’s not quite Paro

1 Like

That’s what I figured I was just a little confused that you enter right over the airport

The south approach is different. This is the north approach for entering from the south.

Here’s the South approach in case you’re flying in from the North. It begins at MELVO

1 Like

I flew the south approach with NAV

Here’s 2 photos that show what a jet yesterday followed flying in from the South, I don’t know whether the altitude shown is MSL or AGL though

You can see the first photo as the plane overflows the airport at 5500 ft before following the Approach