How was the landing?

https://youtu.be/f_ygNk7X-s8
Guys can you tell how was the landing. You can also tell my mistakes so I can improve my landings

1 Like

The was one amazing landing, fair dinkum!

1 Like

Every landing is different on unique conditions depending on total load, weather, aircraft equip etc.
Clearly it appears you had a classic long flare as a result of faster than normal landing speed. Approach speed prior to touchdown should be in region of 130-135kts maximum (it’s not uncommon to go as low as 125kts for A320 aircraft) when 100ft to touchdown, not 150+kts. You reduced the throttle to idle pretty quickly & late while crossing over the threshold of the runway.
It’s all about honing your skills, and that take practice, skills and experience to master it.
Btw it’s a nice smooth touchdown

1 Like

Nice landing! My only suggestion would be to land a bit closer to the touchdown zone. It makes braking safer and easier. This is a handy guide to identifying the touchdown zone. You can also look on Google Earth for airport-specific information.

1 Like

Thank You!:)

Thank you for your help. I will really try to improve my landings. :)

1 Like

Thanks for the help!:)

1 Like

If you look at the markings, he is in the touchdown zone.

1 Like

Oh! I stand corrected!

1 Like

Is true though about trying to be earlier within the touchdown zone. The actual touchdown zone is quite long.

1 Like

Typically the touch down zone is the 1000 foot marker, I think what you were trying to say was it is okay if you touch down later as long as it is on the section of the runway that has markings. If you land on any marking you will make it to the end safely, but you may need more brakes.

The white box is where you aim for, but the touchdown zone spans from the three lines past the numbers to the end of the distance markers.

No, I just meant the touchdown area according to the definition of the markings, still goes beyond where the OP touched down.

Whether there is enough runway after the touchdown zone for landing quite deep into the touchdown zone to avoid aggressive breaking, depends on aircraft type, weight, altitude, actual remaining runway length, and speed.

So, it depends on the particular aircraft whether it is completely benign or pushing the safety margins.

Smaller aircraft will land deeper into the touchdown zone to avoid hazardous wake turbulence of heavier aircraft.

So for small aircraft following large aircraft, you want to land later for safety.

Slow down and increase your flare!

The A320 is not made to butter like other larger aircraft. Touchdown with good flare and put the nose down quickly but with control.

Land like that at Congonhas or Santos Dumont and your passengers will be gone in a jiffy.

1 Like

I agree with you that carrying too much speed affects where you can land smoothly.

But can this really be said about any aircraft?:

Not that it’s not true in some cases I don’t have knowledge of for reasons I don’t understand, but for the A320 for example, if your IAS is sufficiently low and you get VS nearly zero at touchdown with your flare, then why not as capable as the next aircraft?

As far as how far down the touchdown zone is acceptable or not, I tailored a rather detailed question to chatGpt based on other knowledge I had. Part of the question was, what about landing behind a “heavy”, to avoid wake turbulence, how deep is too deep into the landing zone. This is part of the answer, referring specifically to an aircraft the size of an a320:

In some cases, this may mean landing near the end of the touchdown zone, thousands of feet away from the threshold.”

I’ll leave it to others to refute this with possibly better information.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.