How to use flaps in the right airspeed (Tutorial)

I dont bother landing the 737’s with 40 Flaps. 30 is better in my opinion.

1 Like

30 for a nice smooth, large hub airport landing. 40 if you want to go down quick and finish your landing fast on a short strip. At 40 flaps, the aircraft become harder to control and it’s not a smooth landing at all.

Recently I experienced a CR9 landing where the back wheels came down hard and the front wheels slammed down onto the landing. Holy crap was that a shocker. My camera was knocked out of my hand (It’s fine though).

So as a message for everyone: For the love of God/Yahweh/Allah, don’t put 40 degrees flaps on your 737 unless you absolutely have to!

Long live the DC-9!

2 Likes

Exactly what I have wanted to hear for…
Ages.

1 Like

Wow! I am new to this forum and am glad that I joined it! So much awesome information out here :smile:
I still have 2 nagging questions - first of all, when do I start deploying flaps and secondly each time that I apply up to flaps 5, I am ok but with flaps 15 I get a tremendous amount of lift which makes my flight go totally out of control.

Please help with me with this. I hope I explained my question well enough. Thank you so much!

2 Likes

Just increase them slowly on step at a time. And wait for the plain to drop about 500 ft vs more then you want before engaging the next step at leased that’s what I do and I always seem to stay pretty level without much adjustment. Short answer though your going to fast for 15 deg flaps.

1 Like

You start deploying flaps when you,re getting under 10000ft and in 250knots. To get a 250knots you must maintain your AP speed while decending. Usually normal aircrafts (Boeings) cruise in about 33000ft.
They start decending in about 70nm (nautical miles) to about 3000ft. I normally decend with a 2000-2500VS (Vertical speed) but increasing my vertical speed to bigger number can also make my airspeed harder to decrease. The other reason why my VS is set to 2000 is because i dont want to get any violations!

About your 15degree flaps problem. I think its because of your airspeed. You might be too fast when retracting your flaps or even your ALTD. As i said on the top, try to always retract your flaps under 10000ft…

Sorry, if my explanation is long. If you have any further questions then feel free to ask me :smile:

2 Likes

Theres a problem if at flaps 15 your plane loses control. 1: Youa re going to fast when your takeing off.
2: You plane is only loaded to about 0 to 10 percent. What plane was it you were flying.

1 Like

Wow, thanks that helped a lot, could you please do the same for a 747 and a 767, thanks

1 Like

For the beginner it may feel like you’re losing control with flaps on landing. At first you’ll get a tremendous amount of lift when you deploy them to 20 or above generally, but then you should lose speed and be able to descend more easily. I find this useful in order to lose speed- you gain lift, and so the nose pitches up, and then you are able to slow the plane and descend.

2 Likes

Hey man sorry to pop your bubble but you currently have wrong information. like a pilot would not deploy flaps 1 at 250kts descending down threw 10,000ft nor would he/she would deploy flaps 2 in the 737.

4 Likes

As @King_Black has similarly noted, putting out flaps at 10,000ft or even 20,000ft is not at all realistic. Partly because in real life at least at 20,000 ft you would probably be going way over the limit for even Flaps 1. Flaps 1 and 5 can only be set below 250 kts.

Flaps 2 has no pratical application on a 737-800. Genrally you use 1, 5, 15, and then landing flaps 30 or 40. You may use 10 on the approach if you need a little extra drag, 30 is recommended for most landings although if you were doing a full CAT IIIa autloand 40 is recommended.

Basically once you pass through 10,000ft on teh descent the things you need to do are put the landing lights and seat belt signs back on, and ensure you are at or below 250 kts. In real life you would also put the engine start switches to continuous.

Beyond that falsp should start to come out as you get close to intercepting the ILS, with the aim of being at about 190 kts and Flaps 5 once you are about to intercept. Unless you need to slow down earlier (you may have speed restrictions on the STAR or initial appraoch course in real life) you wouldn’t be looking to put any flaps out beyond 5 or so miles from ILS intercept.

I posted this before so sorry for the duplicate, but it is a good approach profile guide:

Basically as a guide:
Approach
→ 220kts
→ Flaps 1 & 200kts
Localiser Intercept
→ Flaps 5 & 190kts
1 Dot below G/S
→ Gear down
→ Arm speedbrake
→ Flaps 15 & 160kts
→ Landing checklist to flaps
G/S Capture
→ Landing flaps & V/EF + WC
→ Complete landing checklist

You may wish to try a low drag approach as well - Ryanair style! Everything is the same excpect you maintain 190 kts & Flaps 5 until 4 miles out, then at 4 miles do gear down, Flaps 15, arm speedbrake, then landing flaps (typically 30) only at about 800ft.

Hope this helps.

4 Likes

Well the only real restrictions would be your flaps deployment limits which in a 737-800 are:

Can set flaps 1, 2, and 5 at or below 250 kts
Can set flaps 10 at or below 210 kts
Can set flaps 15 at or below 200 kts
Can set flaps 25 at or below 190 kts
Can set flaps 30 at or below 175 kts
Can set flaps 40 at or below 162 kts

On the basis that you would be at or under 250 kts at 10,000ft you could go to Flaps 5. If you were at a speed higher than 250 kts you shouldn’t deploy any flaps. Obviously though IF doesn’t model damage so you you could do what you want really.

2 Likes

I am fairly certain that deploying flaps above the limit is not deemed a violation in IF

1 Like

I use 10 degrees if I can, rotate at about 145kn… sometimes I get a tailstrike…

1 Like

You mad bro?

1 Like

Are these flap speeds near the same for all aircraft? Is there a website or something that shows all the approach speeds with flaps?
Thanks!

1 Like

Those speeds aren’t the same for all aircraft, due to weight differences. You can google their speeds, but you won’t be able to apply them to the simulator without having some “yo-yo” effect.
Your best bet is to take off with a plane at a certain weight (I use Normal for all), take off, level at 6000ft with the speed at 250kts, then start slowing down until the nose of the plane pitches up and start deploying flap. Repeat until you have reached the 30° flap on Boeings and F(ull) on Airbuses.

I made a tutorial listing the flap speeds of the Boeing 737-800, use it as your guide and PM if it helped: Boeing 737-800 Tutorial

P.S: test this on Solo.
P.S 2: The weight is Normal.

3 Likes

From my experience with the 737 aircraft i would do the speeds a little lower but i all depends on your weight. So techincally flaps 5-10 should somewhere around 160knts and usually i dont do any flaps settings at 250

1 Like

Are these airspeed numbers for All kinds of aircrafts ?

1 Like

Necroposting, if you have a specific aircraft you want to know the airspeed flap correlation, search and you should find something on it. If you don’t, feel free to make a topic asking:) @Abdulrhman990