How to tell your spouse you can't pause

Anyone else have trouble explaining to their spouse that you can’t pause the game like other games? Especially when you are on final and ATC is screaming in your ear! Asking for a friend…

51 Likes

Well. I’ll take my parents as examples. I screamed every time they said : Come here!
“I CAN’T I’M PLAYING, COMING ONCE I LANDED!”

17 Likes

My family doesn’t understand that an online game/sim can’t be paused and the world stops around you because it’s online. Not just this one , many more.

11 Likes

When my parents call, I abort landing and divert.

If short final, no harm doing a quick land and exit xD

4 Likes

Haha! And has anybody noticed that EVERY TIME you are in a critical moement (takeoff or landing) there is always someone to disturb you but during the 10H cruise there is nothing??

My mom does this most of the time I always think that Infinite Flight and my mom are conspiring against me 😂

29 Likes

What I would say:

Sorry babe, I’m following my passion in order to become a breadwinner and win the bread for our future family. XD
LET’S GET THIS BREAD!!! XD

14 Likes

Hey @Justin_D ,

Been there buddy. Quite a few of us were caught in a battle of flying or controlling and changing diapers as well. I get the eye roll first, then I get is it really important and can’t you just pause it. After a while they get used to it. Wait till they see you flying, chatting in Slack and hanging out on IFC at the same time 😬

19 Likes

There is nothing like having to end a flight 10 minutes before landing after you’ve carefully planned it out and been flying for the last few hours. Always seems to happen when I am about to approach for landing…

3 Likes

Honestly I’m pretty sure my mom doesn’t quite grasp the general concept of pauseing a multiplayer game. Fortnite? yep, Battlefront online? Yep, IF? Yep, you name it, “it can be paused,” but that’s just not how it works… 😂

2 Likes

Once was taking off got facetime call on rotate. Lets just say it ended in catastrophe.

2 Likes

Its a no win situation. The wife just shakes her head, and i realize that i am going to have to pay for it later…

4 Likes

Give her a kind announcement:

There are two exits on this aircraft/for this house. Please take a few moments now to locate your nearest exit and proceed straight out through it. :)

11 Likes

Simple, Ask her to switch frequencies

10 Likes

My fiancée always asks . Are you landing? Are you taking off? I got her trained pretty good !

10 Likes

Yup, it’s been happening alot lately for some reason and she’s starting to get mift about it.

Especially now that I completely tune everything out by using both my phone and tablet.

I use Bluetooth earbuds connected to my phone to listen to Live ATC and always switching channels to shadow a flight than I’ve been planning for the past 45 minutes to an hour.

Meanwhile I put headphones connected to the tablet for flying over the earbuds. That way I can hear multiple audio channels over 2 different devices to spread the workload of running FlightAware, following my FPL, LiveATC, IF Pax and IF Assistant on top of Infinite Flight.

It’s full audio Immersion and she really gets annoyed when she thinks I can hear her while I’m flying on the tablet and following my SIDs/STARs, FPL and monitoring. IRL ATC traffic of the airport I’m flying into/out of on my phone

4 Likes

This is why I carry around 2 devices 😉 so I’m never called on the same phone that I’m flying with. And to save having my girlfriend come over when I’m smashing out some fat dubs in a 172, I fly when I know she won’t be around. Problem solved 😉

3 Likes

My girlfriend has a sixth sense - a true talent - for coming home, calling, or waking up at the worst possible time.

BUT, I always do my best to divert my attention back to her as soon as possible because she is (almost) always patient/understanding about letting me fly.

She typically just laughs when she walks in the door and I’ve got IFC open on my laptop, slack on my phone, and a flight on my old phone - all spread out in front of me.

If it’s something I can quit, I’ll sadly just abort the flight and put everything up. If it’s a critical phase, I just say “I’m really sorry, but I’m wrapping up. And I’ll put it all away as soon as I’m done”.

2 Likes

@anon66442947 @IFPHGOFFICIAL and @Grizpac could write a whole book on times they’ve been interrupted by wife and kids

11 Likes

Parents Dinners ready it’s getting cold hurry up.
Me One sec Mom I’m coming into land I’ll be done in a few minutes I’ll heat it up in a bit but They keep shouting up this is what happens to me on a daily 💁🏻‍♂️

4 Likes

HONEY…

Hold on dear… The winds are 310 at 26 gusting to 41 and I’m on approach to 27…

8 Likes