How to slow down in a fighter (F-16/F-22) after going really fast

What is a good procedure for rapidly slowing down in a fighter (specifically the F-16 or F-22) after going very fast, e.g., Mach 2+? Is there a specific maneuver that can aid deceleration?

I know I could just crash into something, but that’s not the answer I’m looking for :)

2 Likes

S-Turns and/or 5 degrees of flaps does the job for me.

5 Likes

Pull back throttle, nose up.

3 Likes

G pulls, that slows it down, combine that with flaps, spoilers and gear and you’ll be good. Works for the F14, so I guess it works

3 Likes

What is a “G pull”?

1 Like

I wouldn’t use the flaps while going over 250 IAS. Spoilers will not deploy unless landing.

Again. Throttle back, Nose up.

2 Likes

Nose up throttle back flaps full extend and I’m not sure if there are trim taps on fighter jets but it should be on -4

2 Likes

I’ve flown a ton in the fighters, and I agree with @golden.spotter. S-turns are the way to go.

3 Likes

Well, you can use the speed brake.

2 Likes

On IF?

I wouldn’t advise deploying that either above ~400 IAS.

3 Likes

MaxSez: The operative question is “Slow Down after a high speed go”. Most of the foregoing procedures in the real world will overstress the airframe if employed. In IF you can’t brakem so just cut the throttle and dirty up incrementallly. To do it right cut the throttle, S Turn or Spiral down at 2/3deg bleeding of speed as you go, at IAS 250k set the spoiler/Speedbrake to “Flight”. Happy Landing

7 Likes

Good to see you back, Max.

4 Likes

When you bank sharply and then pull back on the controls (elevator). The result is high g-forces and an instant reduction of speed.

That’s how I’m able to do a <1nm traffic pattern in the A318. When I turn base, I pull back on the controls while turning to take advantage of the effects of g-forces, which in my case would be a quick loss of speed so I can level my bank out on final and be able to land.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.