How to sequence

Sequencing is my main problem and I need help with it or my chances coming into IFATC are low tips are helpful and maybe someone can get a lot of aircraft to test me.

You can visit the ATC manual section, as well as the Perfect ATC Test, which can be found on the Infinite Flight YouTube channel. Might want to brush up on these concepts before taking the practical exam.

7 Likes

Hello. Basically when pilots flying inbound or pattern, think of how you want them to come in to the airport.

Inbound
Generally those aircraft further from the airfield are sequenced later while those nearer to the airfield are sequenced first. You may also play around with your speed if necessary but generally let pilots fly on their own unless you see potential conflict.

Pattern Work
This one is mainly needed for your practical. As mentioned by @Thunderbolt, read up the manual and watch The Perfect ATC Test to get a better overview on what to expect during your test.

Good luck :)

4 Likes

I’d recommend asking further ATCing questions on your tracking thread, I’ve seen quite a lot of questions that would best suit your thread :)

1 Like

Put simply, sequencing is the art of numbering aircraft that are going to the same runway to follow each other. Essentially, you’re going to be creating an organized and clear-cut line.

Let’s examine a scenario. Below, we have pattern work at KLCK, Runways 23L and 23R in use.

KLCK Pattern Work

IMG_8898

The traffic on 23L is designated in red. 23R traffic is in blue. Now, let’s examine how sequencing is in play here.

Runway 23L: On Runway 23L, we have V6-VIG, the white plane (we’ll call them OMG-YAY), and T-AIPEI.

1. V6-VIG is number 1 for Runway 23L, as designated by the red 1. They’re on left base for 23L.
  2. OMG-YAY is the second plane going to Runway 23L, and they’re on left downwind.
  3. T-AIPEI is the third plane going to 23L, and they’re the third and last plane going to Runway 23L. They are on left crosswind for 23L.

So, now that we know who is going to 23L and where they are, we can start working out a sequence. Obviously, we already have a line. All we need to do now is tell the pilots in said line their number in line, who they’re following directly ahead, and where in the pattern the plane ahead (who they’re following) is. Let’s break that down.

1. V6-VIG is first in line. There’s no one for them to follow. Simply clear them as number 1 for the option, in that case. Or, if they’ve announced “full stop,” clear them to land as number 1.
  2. OMG-YAY is second in line. They’re following V6-VIG. As we established above, V6-VIG is on left base 23L, and they’re the plane directly in front of OMG-YAY. Thus, OMG-YAY’s sequence will be as follows: “OMG-YAY, number 2, traffic to follow (V6-VIG) is on left base.” That’s the sequence for OMG-YAY done.
  3. T-AIPEI is third in line. They’re following both V6-VIG and OMG-YAY. However, we sequence aircraft with respect to the pattern leg of the plane directly in front. So, T-AIPEI will be told the following: “T-AIPEI, number 3, traffic to follow (OMG-YAY) is on left downwind.” While T-AIPEI is following both OMG-YAY and V6-VIG, OMG-YAY is the plane in front, so we must use their pattern leg in T-AIPEI’s sequence. The physical number, however, is simply based off what their physical number in line is.

Runway 23R: On Runway 23R, we have OY-ANR, Yellow 1, and 7O-RST. We’ll break this down like above.

1. OY-ANR is number 1 for Runway 23R, as designated by the blue 1. They’re on final for 23R.
  2. Yellow 1 is number 2 for Runway 23R, as designated by the blue 2. They’re on right downwind for 23R.
  3. 7O-RST is number 3 for Runway 23R, as designated by the blue 3. They’re on right downwind for 23R.

We have a line here as well. We know who is who, where they’re going, where they’re at in the pattern, who is in front of them, and what their physical number in line is. Let’s sequence them.

1. OY-ANR is first in line. No need to sequence; simply clear them as number 1.
  2. Yellow 1 is second in line. They’re following OY-ANR. OY-ANR is on final, so Yellow 1 must be told: “Yellow 1, number 2, traffic to follow (OY-ANR) is on final.” That’s Yellow 1 taken care of.
  3. Lastly, we have 7O-RST. They’re third in line and following OY-ANR and Yellow 1, but the plane that’s directly ahead of them in the pattern is Yellow 1. So, as a result, we sequence 7O-RST based on Yellow 1’s position in the pattern, which is right downwind. So, 7O-RST will be told: “7O-RST, number 3, traffic to follow (Yellow 1) is on right downwind.”

And there we have it! That’s sequencing in a nutshell.

30 Likes

Is this the TT for today 0130Z?

Yup! I believe that was yours?

1 Like

It’s mine. I made a lot of mistakes.

1 Like

Oh wow this helped a lot what about inbounds how would you do that?

Danny you take me in lol

@lty Don’t worry about mistakes, training is the way to make you won’t make these mistakes in Expert Server

4 Likes

Hey, i was V6-VIG in the 01:30Z session. You actually did pretty good. I believe you just forgot one sequence from my end. But keep up the good work!

2 Likes

For inbounds, it’s more or less the same thing. Figure out who they should be following, and give them the physical number in line they’re supposed to be in, and sequence based on the pattern leg of the traffic they’re meant to follow.

3 Likes

Ok. Thank you!

2 Likes

Ok thanks now i I know how to sequence will make sure to watch the YouTube video about what Tyler did what about this aircraft A is on left downwind 26L aircraft B is on left base runway 26L and aircraft C is on final I know who ever is closer to runway 26L is going to follow aircraft C on final but what about if aircraft A is already number two and aircraft B just called in inbound and is closer what would you say to both aircraft at Las Vegas.

Simply give Aircraft B a pattern entry (since they’re inbound), sequence Aircraft B, number 2, traffic to follow (Aircraft C) is on final. And then resequence (give a new sequence) Aircraft A as number 3, traffic to follow (Aircraft B) is on left base.

2 Likes

And that’s me, thanks Danny
BTW @lty you did well in threats session, hope you can fine tune your skills and nail the practical!

2 Likes

Ok thanks now I know.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.