How to save fuel

How can I make my fuel be 100% effective?

1 Like

Well, you need to have a climb rate of about 2500-3000VS. I would cruise from about 34-40K feet depending on the aircraft.

3 Likes

Get to a good cruising level. Simbrief calculates this if you leave the altitude on AUTO.

1 Like

Plan your flight so you’ll be flying with a tailwind. And trim. Trim will decrease your fuel burn slightly but will make a huge difference in the long run.

7 Likes

What should the trim be?

1 Like

Some tutorials involving trim and other magic should be up soon. If you can fly into strong tailwinds and fly at different altitudes depending on how much you want to burn.

2 Likes

Maintaining a reasonable cruising speed is also important. @DeerCrusher made a great table:

1 Like

Depends… if your in level flight and you can see the pink line in the trim box, you need to trim until the pink line goes away. On a fully loaded 787-9 I find that 50% trim is perfect.

Keep in mind you can trim while in a climb but you’ll have to return once in cruise.

10 Likes

I agree, 50% is just fine for a fully loaded 789
I tested it now on a flight from montreal to dubai at FL370, mach0.85

1 Like

Would I ever steer you guys wrong? 😊

8 Likes

This might help:

No, it’s as simple as a that!

Ditch the passengers and luggage

12 Likes

Yes…just yes ;) ha

2 Likes

Never use TOGA during your flight :)

1 Like

To save more fuel go higher but remember the higher you go the more you have to reduce your speed for the autopilot put your ground speed will be higher.

It’ll be useful to determine the aircraft’s cruising speed and cruising altitude, usually assigned (I’m assuming) where the plane performs optimally.

You don’t have to worry so much during take off and climb as the increased fuel consumption would be offset by the decrease in fuel consumption on descent.

You can also plan ahead to carry less cargo (passengers shouldnt be booted off wink wink) since less weight means less fuel use ;)

Hopefully this was helpful!

You also have to step climb.

I just completed a very long flight and -as you get bored- did some tests. The fuel burn at 12k feet was nearly 30-40% higher than at 32k feet. Perhaps this is a well known to commercial pilots, but to me it was quite a surprise. The thing is that you loose a lot of fuel during initial takeoff and climb, because you’re heavy.
I have not yet found out the tradeoff between the climb and flying high… ;-)

2 Likes

Air is thinner at high altitudes, so engines were designed to work better with thin air, so in other words, engines work better at high altitudes.

2 Likes