How to quickly operate ATC?

So I’ve been enjoying my time controlling as an ATC on the training server, and I tend to rush through the messages I get. For example - if I operate at KLAX, and it’s very busy, if 10 people all across the airport request to taxi, then about 10 more request for pushback, I tend to do them rapidly without checking where they are. I want to overcome this because I know it’s not right, and I want to get the pilots in the air and on the ground safely. Any tips on how to not rush through all the messages? Should I start at small airports with 1 runway, or let the messages flood in and take my time to answer to them, but progressively get quicker at it. Thoughts?

1 Like

This is what you should do in my opinion. Everyone has their ways of getting comfortable with ATC. Try to figure out your own ;)

4 Likes

It’s always good to practice at smaller airports, but if you want to be accurate go slow and steady. You’ll improve ;)

3 Likes

Start at smaller airports. Also try to look at tutorials as well. KLAX is more advanced and alot of people dont cooperate. Also my opinion is to start at airports like TNCM where there is still aircrafts but you can actually sequence them more accurately. I hope this helps, good day

Thanks for your response! KLAX is a very big airport for beginners, but I seem to remember it very easily because I only flew the Southern California region before the update.

1 Like

Thanks for the response! I’ll try to start at smaller airports, and progressively work up.

I agree try to get faster but also if you want some good practice go and work at KSFO it’s a large enough airport to have different types of planes while still having large amounts of trafic coming from all over.

1 Like

Roger that, thanks for the advice. It’s a good idea, I’ll try to do it more often :)

1 Like

Do you guys reccomend asking to do ATC for Training Server Events, like semi-small ones? I feel it might be good practice…

Just take it slowly though I understand the anxiety controlling TS1 the users quite often have little patience so I worry if I’m not fast it will fall to chaos

2 Likes

Yeah, they can get really complex haha.

1 Like

Take your time to answer one by one. The pilots won’t die if you take awhile to get to them (though they might start taxiing, pushback and taking off without clearance, because, TS1). The most important aspect of ATC is not the speed of response, rather, it’s ensuring the safe separation between aircrafts.

This is also something I as IFATC still need to improve on, which I did since I was first IFATC. I used to get overwhelmed when all the calls came in at the same time, but nowadays, in situations like this, I just respond based on priority and urgency and work my way down. Eg, tending to someone taking off, landing or a give way command is more important than responding to that pushback or ready to taxi call. That’s just my way of dealing with overwhelming situations anyways.

4 Likes

Thanks so much! That seems like a good plan I could use :)

First thing I will familiarize myself with the rough layout of the airport if I expect it will get busy, so when I see multiple flashing, I can know where to look at. Which means I can spot the plane(s) rather quickly so less time waste finding them.

Also, if it is really busy and I don’t see any traffic nearby it, I just allow them to do anything they ask for (sensible request only of course)

Priority is also very very important as Zenneth mentioned, so you should spend more effort on the tower frequency as that is way more important. Generally, if you have a busy tower frequency, you are already having a backlog of planes waiting to land or waiting for takeoff, so there is no point to having them pushback and taxi quickly when you should have focused more on clearing the traffic

And one point I am going to try if that works is to control the pilot more when it is busy. I am not sure if the concept makes sense anyway but can’t test it as there was not much traffic since global. The idea is when it is busy, you don’t trust the pilot to fit into a tight gap as usual (both landing and takeoff). This is due to you are not able to pay much attention to him and he can mess up the whole traffic flow completely.
So you would rather have pile up(what might be better during peak hours) instead of trying to squeeze as much traffic as possible(what I am doing right now). The less attention required to spend on them means that you have more time to reply to other messages without any reason to rush through it. This also helps you maintain an orderly flow and make the whole thing more manageable, really this can be completely wrong though.

2 Likes

Personally, I would look at this: Ground Control Tutorial, as this gives you the vital information you need to know about ground control, especially when you are in a rush. My advice is that when you start on a Server such as KLAX, make sure you do a full look around for how many planes are on stand.

1 Like

Roger that, I’ll take a look.

Also, feel free to check out the rest of the tutorials by Tyler in the subcategory “ATC” under #tutorials ;)

https://community.infiniteflight.com/c/tutorials/atc

1 Like

Will do, thank you :)

Hi @DrDelta75 as being IFATC you start to think about the pilots more, so if you take your time with each pilot there going to realise that your busy and will understand that you have a lot of traffic to deal with! - Max

1 Like

Yeah I’ve been doing that for a bit now. I am tying to practice ATC a ton to join the IFATC team :)