How to Properly Fly the SR22 in Infinite Flight

Hello IFC,

The SR22.
A very tough plane for some people to use on IF due to its unique way it is in the game. There has been so many instances where I will be controlling on TS and someone will come to fly and crash on TKO or even on the taxi out. One of those people was me till I found the sweet spot in the controls! I would always be blown away when I would see someone fly there SR22 with success and now you can to using this thread!!

So I will start off with the basics.

Important Speeds
  1. Takeoff 80 knots go over 90 and the plane veers off the RW with about 30% trim (my personal preference for trim)
  2. Cruise: pilots choice
  3. Final: 90-75 knots
  4. Landing: 75-85knts (flare hard to have easy rudder control to keep in the centerline)
Take Off

The plane has an extremely sensitive rudder if you turn it to fast and hard you will go flying off the runway.

Landing

Once again like what I said above the planes Rudder is extremely sensitive and on landing. To keep centerline of the rw come down till you begin your flare and flare hard not so hard you have a tail strike but hard enough you keep that nose wheel off the ground until it does it it’s self. This allows you to not go flying off the rw with rudder inputs.

Taxing

Same as above small and easy rudder imputs.

More info about the plane and stats
  • Crew: one
  • Capacity: four passengers
  • Length: 26 ft 0 in (7.92 m)
  • Wingspan: 38 ft 4 in (11.68 m)
  • Height: 8 ft 11 in (2.72 m)
  • Airfoil: Roncz
  • Empty weight: 2,269 lb (1,029 kg)
  • Gross weight: 3,600 lb (1,633 kg)
  • Fuel capacity: 92 US gallons (348 litres)
  • Powerplant: 1 × Continental IO-550-N Six cylinder horizontally opposed aircraft engine, 310 hp (230 kW)
  • Propellers: 3-bladed

Performance

• Cruise speed: 183 kn (211 mph, 339 km/h)
  • Stall speed: 60 kn (69 mph, 110 km/h) flaps down
  • Range: 1,049 nmi (1,207 mi, 1,943 km) with reserves at 65% power
  • Service ceiling: 17,500 ft (5,300 m)
  • Rate of climb: 1,270 ft/min (6.5 m/s)
    Source:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cirrus_SR22

I hope this has truly help you in you adventure with GA aircraft!!

all of these are based off my my preferences

Any other questions about the plane please ask me here!

Thanks,
Blake | IFATC in Training Leader*

33 Likes

Amazing Blake ! Nice tutorial :)

1 Like

Thanks a lot took me just about all morning to do!! C:

1 Like

Hope this helps all of you struggling with this plane if this helps you please let me know also if you find somthing else that is helpful please let me know!!

Best of luck flying and say safe,
Blake

2 Likes

@USA_ATC… MaxSez: Lest we forget Blake a LANDING is a 2 step process, a “Round-out” then “Flair”. Seems every IF “Instructor” over looks this tried and true Procedure.

“SENSITIVE RUDDER” or Procedure and Environmental issue. If your on speed; proper Flap Setting/Vr and use both the “Ailerons” & Rudder to correct yr flight path (Windward Wing Down for Quartering/Cross Winds)on Launch/Recovery + adjust for Prop Tork that Sensitive Rudder Noted will cease to be a problem.

A bit of editing suggested. “The Airplane Flying Handbook” available from faa.gov has all the answers.

MaxSend

6 Likes

Uh why do I need to learn something that flys itself??

the flare is in the landing and i did describe how you need to just let it kiss the ground instead of faring 1sec before landing if you dont see it i will add it C:

Thanks,
Blake

Bc it doesnt LOL
every plane has a unique feature

2 Likes

Never forget the Ailerons, There use in all procedures are a must;

Regards, MaxSends

3 Likes

Hold on lemme just pull the parachute rq

1 Like

More like
we need a way to change rudder sentivity without an external controller

2 Likes

I’d agree that the aircraft is more sensitive then other aircraft but not specifically the rudder. The combination of the ailerons and rudder are important. If you just monitor only the rudder then you will indeed fly off the runway. And you don’t necessarily need to flare the SR22 a ton to smoothly land.

2 Likes

It’s very sensitive in real life as well, also it’s kind of hard to slip as the rudder and ailerons are interconnected. Landing a Cirrus is more of a level off than a flare, if you were to try and flare the plane would just want to climb and then stall, pretty much it’s planing all 3 gears at the same time. The Cirrus I fly in real life I use 80kts as the takeoff speed, using 50% flaps, then flaps up above 90kts with a positive rate of climb. I think the flap settings are different in IF but in the G2 it’s flaps 50% at or below 119kts, and flaps 100% at or below 104kts. Landing speeds are typically 85-80kts. The Cirrus is very sensitive in real life and in IF, gradual control inputs will give the best results.

2 Likes

Nice tutorial! Thank you!

1 Like

Yes this is true.

wow thanks

I never knew that it was like this IRL

MaxSez: Sounds like a “Round Out” to me…

MaxSends
(Info: @USA_ATC)

1 Like

Sure does C: still everyone fly’s planes different
if they want to fly the plane and flare it hard or level off and let here eat that is there choice I strictly gave the info that was difficult ect for this plane

Awesome ! I needed this

1 Like

Best of luck with the SR22!!