How to properly fly around the world

Hey guys. I am currently doing a flight from LFPG to KJFK the long way, and am wondering how i can make it so that I reach New York without running out of fuel. I am doing this in a 777-200ER as this is the longest range airplane in the fleet of my VA. Any tips, please? Thank you!

1 Like

Maybe include stopovers.

1 Like

Take as much fuel as you need. However don’t take cargo or pax in order to extend the fuel life. Because of you’re route, it looks like you should fly in some tailwinds. Use windy.com for that :)

1 Like

Is there a way to do it without stopovers? I am also trying to set a record for longest flight logged.

For a Boeing 777-200ER, try no passengers or cargo and full fuel.

Check the website below for the weather and step climb accordingly.

Honestly, I highly doubt that you would make it but use my information above and fly over the Arctic.

Well, I have done as you said, and it looks like, based on estimates, that I should make it with about 50 mins of fuel to spare. currently flying at FL300 at .77, any tips on that?

1 Like

Not much, but if you find out that you have a really strong headwind, then check the website I linked above and see if there are any altitudes that have wind speeds that are not as strong.

My tip: Try going in areas where tailwinds are present.

2 Likes

you can prepare your flight with websites like SimBrief to help you know how much fuel you need to finish the flight.

1 Like

You won’t beat it with that equipment. Longest flight is somewhere north of 45 hours

2 Likes

I’ve noticed that the 777 doesn’t perform as well at slower speeds. Try M .84, if it doesn’t work then slow back down. Also, if you have no PAX or cargo, maybe fly a little higher. The 777 is a rocket even fully laden with fuel.

2 Likes

Take a look at all these super #tutorials made by the members, so far the one that changed my way to fly : Introduction to SimBrief

I consider myself an expert in these ultra long haul flights on IF. First off you need to specify your exact routing as you can get different flight distances depending on how close to the pole you are flying (the farther south the longer). Second off, you need to plan your flight to get the most tailwind you can as that will help you out with distance traveled but not with time aloft. Finally, this flight will all be about step climbing. You need to know when you need to climb up another 1-2,000 ft.

With that said you can expect 17-18 hours total for the 777-200ER even as your fuel flow lowers. This trip sounds like it will be more than that so you will have to have a stop over somewhere. If you can prove me wrong good for you but I highly doubt you will make it without needing to refuel somewhere.

2 Likes

I would suggest swapping it for a 777-200LR. It will give you a much better chance of reaching your goal

2 Likes

@Q-ENAN, he’s flying the other way around the world.

1 Like

Enter @AndrewRG10 the expert in this field

1 Like

The easiest thing to do is descend to a lower altitude and lower your cruising speed. I am currently having the same problem with a flight from FAOR to KJFK with fuel.

Ive lowered my altitude, lowered my speed and disabled 2 of my engines as im using an a340

Honestly, Paris to JFK is not very long. It shouldn’t be too hard since it’s only 7-8 hours. Add a little more fuel when adding pax and cargo.

Good luck!

Edit: can’t read properly, sorry…

Edit 2: don’t add pax and no cargo but full fuel. This will still be hard tho…

1 Like

Actually, as i fly over Canada, I have enough fuel to not only make it to New York, but all the way to Europe. I have to use the 777-200ER because my VA doesn’t have the 777-200LR. I already had full tanks of fuel and no pax or cargo. I’m going to try to go to Europe now, and with the winds over the Atlantic, I shouldn’t have too much of a problem. I don’t think that I need to speed up right now as I don’t have that much excess fuel left and I am pretty good where I am at right now. Good tips though!

I used UHMM and KJFK as my waypoints in case I need to refuel. Gonna be a problem across the pond though.

Well of course you would make it by doing it a the black line shows below compared to the Red line. You are essentially just hoping around the poles compared to actually sticking close to the latitude you are departing from as shown by the red line. You are cutting out close to 2000nms. That isnt “properly” flying around the world as you implied.

3 Likes