How to properly descend?

I was wondering, how do you descend properly. I just estimate with the LOC (through trial and error).

I will use simbrief for Global. Is there a way you guys plan for a decent the PROPER way?

4 Likes

I tend to use the ETA to next waypoint and use that to calculate FL and rate of descent

Generally i am at around 3,000 - 4,000 when nearing approach

Not precise, and the more experienced/hard core flyers may scream but i dont have the ability to have charts and such when flying

5 Likes

You can also use this website too

This site also provides the basic altitude profile which would be helpful to guide you in doing your flight. Like this as an example 😉

Based from the routing, they provided the basic altitude profile which can be seen below

• Ascent Rate: 2500ft/min
  • Ascent Speed: 250kts
  • Cruise Altitude: 35000ft
  • Cruise Speed: 420kts
  • Descent Rate: 1500ft/min
  • Descent Speed: 250kts
17 Likes

Thank you so much! I will look into this!

1 Like

Yeah flight plan database is a good one. You should also check out these tutorials from our friendly neighbourhood educators…

https://community.infiniteflight.com/c/tutorials

Happy flying!

5 Likes

Done a tutorial about it!

6 Likes

He is asking for a proper way to descend in Global 😉. And WIII-WSSS’s flight time around 1hr 15mins, so actually that isn’t too high for the route

2 Likes

Sorry about that, I didn’t carefully read the topic.

2 Likes

I like to be at 10000 feet by 26 NM out from the airport. I usually descend to 4000 or 3000 at -2000-2500 fpm at 220 KIAS.

1 Like

Assuming you are at FL270,
Top of descent: 90nmi from destination
V/speed: -1400fpm
Spd: Varies according to headwinds and tailwind.

How to calculate
= FL/3 =Nmi from destinations you should begin descent

vertical speed varies from -1000fpm to -2000fpm.

Hope this helps

6 Likes

5nm out, -20000fpm. Job done

8 Likes

-20000fpm?! Wow, that’s steep! 😂😜

4 Likes

Course, tactical landing… make sure all your lights are off and it’s nighttime 😂

1 Like

If your flying a Cessna yes… Lol

1 Like

You don’t want to decend at 2,000 FPM in the Cessna trust me.

5 Likes

Just make sure your tray is in the upright position 😰

3 Likes

You should enable Distance to destination and the remaining Flight time, also depends on your cruising altitude.

1 Like

To calculate a descent you can use a little math.

Take your FL, times it by 3 and BAM you get your range. Example: FL300, 30x3=90. 90nm is when you should start your decent. Descend at around 2,500ftpm until around 10-15kft, slowing it to 1,500ftpm thereafter.

9 Likes

Perfect answer ^^^^^

2 Likes

That’s exactly how my approach and descents are planned

1 Like