How to plan an overnight flight?

Hello everyone! I just got live again and I have been wanting to do an overnight, long haul flight while I sleep in real life. However, I have a few concerns. First of all, is there a specific plane that is perfect to leave flying overnight on AP? Also, is there a way to prevent your phone from overheating? I have an iPhone 8+ in a case if that matters at all. What are some of the best routes out there for overnight long hauls? I am worried that I will overshoot my destination and wake up to an aircraft a thousand miles over where I planned on landing. What is the best way to plan the landing time? Any other advice is also welcomed. Thanks, guys!

I imagine your iPhone 8+ should be able to cope. Unless you deal with crashes. I’m not an IOS-y person. As long as you’re at 10,000ft+ the correct speed, alt and climb set, you’re fine to leave it until arrival. Unless you are step climbing, and/or have a 3rd party app to support that which is fine.

1 Like

Ok thank you! What aircraft would you recommend and should I just set the fuel to 100%?

2 Likes

Set it to 1h+ than your flight is gonna take.
If you want some flight idea here’s some in IRL

I would do research on the route you have decided on and find the right amount of fuel to use if you would like the most realism. I have done Tokyo to Papeete overnight in the Air Tahiti Nui 787, and that is a pretty good flight.

The aircraft depends on the fuel. Not all aircraft have correct fuel :)

Thanks for the help! I was thinking about Honolulu to Boston in their A330, do you think that works for an overnight?

1 Like

What do you mean by this? I might be stupid and can’t understand it after all haha

1 Like

I tried it once, and I failed at fuel calculation in that same plane. Just be careful about the fuel level that you choose before takeoff.

1 Like

I mean each aircraft doesn’t always use the amount of fuel in your tanks fuel.

1 Like

I do overnight flights almost every day. First of all you have to know how many hours you sleep😂 and for example I sleep for at least 8 hours so my flights are at least 10 hours long that gives you a little extra time to you know wake up and have coffee or whatever and I use fpltoif.com to get a flight plan and fuel calculations and everything it’s the best in the business ;) and to avoid overheating your phone you can set all graphics settings to low and enable automatic low power mode and turn your brightness to the lowest setting.

2 Likes

I love going from Sydney (YSSY) to San Francisco (KSFO). I usually use the 787-9 And -10, any 777, and the 747(at cruise use flaps 10 will help with fuel I don’t know what’s wrong with the 747 but use flaps 10 to reach your destination). When planing landing time I wait till I hit my cruise alt and wait 30min to see how long the flight will be. I set an alarm 45 min before landing. With overheating put all of your graphic setting to low make sure limit frame rate is on. Take the case of too and put your phone on a place that won’t trap heat like a hard surface. Sorry for the biography but this is what I do.

1 Like

Thanks for the response!! That was actually super helpful. Are you suggesting I DO place my phone on a hard surface or I do not? Thanks!

1 Like

Usually, once I reach my cruising altitude on a long haul, I put my graphics, brightness, and airplane count to the lowest possible so I can relieve stress on my device. Then as I’m approaching my destination I put it back to normal.

1 Like

Don’t place it on a pillow or bed. It will get extremely hot. I’ve done before and thought my iPad was ruined it was that hot. My game crashed on landing. Put it somewhere that won’t conduct heat.

1 Like

Ok thanks for the clarification. Should I leave it charging?

Yes you should leave it charging. Also don’t turn on your low battery mode. Make sure the one in game is turned on. That will help with the heating problems too. Don’t use the one that is in your apple settings it can make the game run slower. Use the one infinite flight provides for you. You can turn on your night mode so you’re not getting notifications all night and make sure you’re restarting your device before a long haul flight too helps a lot. Lower your brightness too.

1 Like

Ok let me give you my example. When first i started i did many long haul flights. I even did one for 14 hours from san fransisco to mumbai. First of all your device will be ok. Next you need to cruise at .85 mach at your cruising altitude say fl360. If the flight time is 10 hours you can set fuel to 11 or 12 hours max and you are good to go. Always try and wake up 40 mins before arrival as you need some time to plan the approach. Also if on training or expert if you are planning to land someplace where there is live atc then you would require to follow all instructions for a safe approach. Also for long haul flights while you are sleeping avoid busy routes.
I would suggest some routes
Sydney to los angeles
London to bangkok
San fransisco to paris
Miami to frankfurt
Singapore to london
Also you could use a350 or b777 for these routes.
Happy Flying…

1 Like

Not all aircraft cruise at M .85. Don’t start at 36,000, start more at 32 or 34,000.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.