How to make great landing with low visibility? (This isn't a tutorial)

Hi!

Since I think that I am now a “good” pilot, I try low-visibility flights. But I have some difficulties to confirm that my plane is perfectly align with the runway.

So, do you have some “tricks” for good alignements on runway in low-visiblity?

Thanks!

If the airport provides ILS watch this tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejn9Agj4BUI

Yeah, but what if the airport doesn’t have ILS?

And sometimes the ILS isn’t precise, it indicate 84° (for e.g.) but at the end, I have to quickly change to 85° to be really aligned to the runway.

1 Like

Without ILS? With very poor visibility, normally flights were diverted to other airports ;)
My method is to zoom the map and try to stay on the grey marked glideslope.
The vertical speed should be about -800 ft/min at (about) 180 knots, start your descent at the distance which results of altitude/3/100.
Example: when flying at 8.000 ft, start descent when you are at 26 nm from your destination.

1 Like

It’s also very helpful to use waypoints to make a flight plan on your larger map. Often you can vector a straight line for yourself all the way to the threshold. Then, make sure the “Bearing to next” waypoint is occupying a space in your bottom tool bar. That’s one of the indicators I find myself using the most. It will tell you how many ° left or right to turn in order to get to that next waypoint.

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like