How to make a perfect turn in Infinite Flight realistically?

I know this sounds stupid and you might be thinking I am a n00b or something that doesnt know how to play IF. But it is something I am curious about and was never brought up before. Ive seen people on TS not knowing how and when to make a turn at all and I myself dont know well either. IF you are using A/P HDG when to turn and how? Also how to turn manually? What timing? How to perfectly turn? Also How to perfectly turn on taxiways to COMPLETELY ALIGN on the yellow line REALISTICALLY. Also how to align on the runway without being on one side and in on the middle? I want to know the timings and how you guys work around it NOT some silly answers!

2 Likes

I’m a bit confused on what the actual advice you want is?

On the taxiway, use the rudder to turn? Follow the yellow line? On 90 degree turns, don’t exceed 10 knots ground speed and the front wheel doesn’t follow the yellow line, the centre of the aircraft does, so your front wheel needs to kind of ‘turn wide’.

In the air, A/P will just turn for you. The higher your ground speed, the wider the turn arc is. This means, to follow a 90 degree turn on a flight plan at a ground speed of 400 knots, you will need to start the turn at least 1.5NN before you reach the waypoint.

Doing manual turns, use the HUD. You can see the markers for 10, 20, 30 degree turns. Don’t ever exceed 30 degrees in a commercial aircraft.

Everything varies from aircraft to aircraft, and the main difference is ground speed.

4 Likes

Like in real life, planes take like only a couple of secounds and make big turns while as on here it take me forever to make a 180 degree turn. JS

1 Like

In the real world, aircraft slow down considerably, if for example, are placed into a hold. Those 180 degree turns are more often done at an Indicated Airspeed of 220 knots, even at FL300. In IF, most people try to do 180 degree turns at Indicated airpeeds of 350+ knots at a FL300. This will basically double the time it takes to turn.

At lower altitudes, after takeoff for example, aircraft don’t suddenly accelerate to 250 knots under 10,000 feet because they can. It’s not a race. You’ll notice the flaps remain extended for quite a few minutes, often up to 3000-5000 feet. This is because the aircraft is maintaining a slower speed to conduct vectored turns, or to follow SIDS.

7 Likes

A good example of maintaining a low IAS to complete a published turn quickly is the MARUB FIVE Departure at YSSY (Sydney). Here’s the link http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/aip/pending/dap/SSYDP08-149.pdf

Notice the ‘REQUIREMENT’ box says to not exceed 180 knots IAS through the entire turn. If you try that turn at 250 Knots IAS, you won’t be able to make it and you’ll end up flying over Sydney Harbour and missing the course to the waypoint.

What I’m trying to say is, it’s all about managing your speed. Slow down, and you can make the tighter, faster turns.

Ah yes thanks for the explanation, this makes alot of sense! Btw while were at the topic can I ask something else as well or do I have to open another thread?

If it’s along the same subject lines then just ask it here, if it’s completely unrelated you can PM me if you want

I found that it worked well on bad wifi connections when I had live, which was a pleasant surprise!

I’m going to upload some photos soon that should explain it better for turning on the ground, but in the air you should use the autopilot and turn to the correct heading in your flight plan as soon as it says “Next WPT: [waypoint], fly HDG [heading]”.

For turning on the ground, the nose gear shouldn’t follow the taxi line perfectly as the main gear will need to do that job to ensure a “perfect” turn.

Don’t know how clear this message is, but I hope it helps!

3 Likes

I will answer with regards to ROT (Rate of Turn) whilst in the air on AP.

On my docking data (bottom of the screen) one of the data I have is “Time to next Way-Point”. As you know when you have >1min to the next waypoint you get a warning message at the top of the screen telling you your next course.

This is where you have to do a bit of maths! You have to work out the difference between the course you are currently flying and your new course, this you divide by 2 and it gives the time in seconds at which you commence your turn.

As been stated above the higher and faster (GS) you are the larger your turning circle will be. So as a rule of thumb if I am above FL240 I will add 5 seconds to my time, if above FL320 I will add 10 seconds. Even then I might need to over compensate for my turning circle in order to get on course correctly.

Quick note if you start your turn before less than 35 seconds to go then you may miss your turn as you will not go within 15 seconds of the " Wheel over" position so you will need to go to the map page an “active next leg” manually.

EXAMPLE:

FL280
Current Course = 094
New Course = 155

Difference = 155-94 = 61 / 2 = 30 + 5 = Start turn 35 Seconds from waypoint.

hope above is clear?

4 Likes

@David_Lockwood my Next leg gets activated as soon as I hit within 1 NN of the waypoint, regardless of time (ie not 15 seconds?)

I use a similar rough formula to you, it generally works out about 1.5NM to 2NM from the waypoint, and the apex or ‘peak’ of my turn arc hits about 0.8 to 0.9 NN from the waypoint, therefore activating my next leg and usually lining me up nicely on my next course. Obviously this all depends on the angle of turn

1 Like

Lesser the speed, faster the turn…
I usually turn at 235 knots at FL250

similar principle there. I use the time method mainly as when first flying IF I used to start my turn about 20s from the waypoint, and as I got higher na dfaster worked out neede more time to do it. At a “medium” FL of 120-240 , the RoT seems to be about 2 degrees per second.

1 Like

Just wait till the last sec, kick the rudder all the way to one side and hope for the best

1 Like

Or to get more technical, recently I’ve been in the SR22 practicing real published ILS holds at a waypoint, timing 180 degree standard rate turns (2 minutes for 360 degrees)… now that’s difficult when you only have a HUD with bank angle in degrees, rather than the standard turn gauge and have to judge it and try and time the 3 degrees per second.

:-) keeps the brain active trying to work it all out! That’s why I enjoy IF as you have to employ real life skills in order to fly correctly!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.