How To Make A Crosswind Landing

Happy Manic Monday everyone!

Have you ever struggled while landing with a crosswind? Does the aircraft seem to get out of control after touching down? In this week’s video, I cover how to fly the approach and how to control the aircraft right before touching down and also afterwards. Crosswind landings can be difficult at times but can also be a fun challenge.

Hope this video tutorial helps anyone that struggles with a crosswind landing. Post any comments, questions, or tutorial requests below.

Happy and Safe Landings!

Skyhawk Heavy
FDS Pilot Community Manager

115 Likes

you are the man, I had a lot of trouble landing the ERJ-190 at KSAN today with @Heavydriver controlling. I think it was mainly cuz I accidentally cut the throttle off before touchdown. I will definitely be practicing this though

4 Likes

Good to know, I always lose control of my aircraft during landing. :)

Yeah the ERJ is a light plane so can definitely be challenging. It’s all about throttle control and using the rudder at the right time.

2 Likes

If you watch the smaller vid at the bottom right, you can see when I start using the rudder and how long I keep applying opposite rudder pressure after touching down.

1 Like

I thought that I know how to do a crosswind landing, apparently I didnt. :)

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

Are you a real pilot? Have you ever landed in a crosswind in the real world? I am a real world pilot and I’m very aware of how to land in a crosswind and different techniques as well as which ones are mostly used. I know what I showed in the video and it is a proper technique. As far as the landing itself, well, I dont really consider -119 FPM a hard landing when you have a direct crosswind. It is rare to have a “smooth” landing 100% of the time and especially with a crosswind or wet weather conditions. The video is not intended for comments on what you think is a hard landing or what isnt. If you have any further issues, feel free to PM me.

Thanks.

19 Likes

Lol I consider anything under200fpm soft. And I have a PPL. Most of my landings in this game are like 400fpm. Good job making the tutorial simple

5 Likes

1 Like

Thanks Rodney!

1 Like

It’s all about using the rudder correctly. Once the main gear have touched down, then keep the nose gear off as long as you can and basically control the direction the nose of the aircraft is pointing with the rudder.

4 Likes

Wait wait wait… My controlling affects people’s ability to land🙄

3 Likes

Unfortunately yes

1 Like

@Mark_Denton I asked you to make a video on this a while ago and you actually made one! Thanks so much! :)

1 Like

LOL I couldn’t remember who it was but there ya go. Hahaha

3 Likes

@Mark_Denton does the principle of touching down on one wheel apply to small GA aircraft? I can’t really imagine doing this in a 172.

Oh definitely. I use this technique in real life all the time. For me, its just an easier way to control. Some may touchdown on both of the main gear as well which is fine as well which happens with larger aircraft a lot.

2 Likes