How to level out my plane after at my targeted altitude

When I fly and I wanted to go to my altitude and when I reach there my plane is like slanted upward and I wanted to level it out have any ways to help me with my problem ?

This is pretty normal. The plane should be slight angled upwards. It is ultimately how aerodynamics work.

However if it is at a sharp angle, then it may be that you’re cruising speed is too slow. What is your cruising speed?

1 Like

If you are ever in a plane you will notice that is it easier to walk towards the back than the front. This is because the back of the plane is ‘downhill’ than the front of the plane which is normally pitched up about 2-3’

did u checked first your ac weight when ur still at the airport?

Add more throttle or extend flaps

Welcome to this amazing community.

You need to trim the aircraft.
Look at your TRIM button. If you see a little purple line showing, change your TRIM setting to a point where the purple line has disappeared

IMG_6332

As you burn fuel, you will need to adjust your trim.

Apart from this, yes, it is normal for the aircraft to ‘lean’ backwards a bit.

Trim has no affect while the AP is holding altitude. No matter what trim setting he goes to the aircraft will have the same pitch attitude.

He is either too high, too heavy, too slow or a combination of these three. But it’s correct that some aircraft naturally cruise with a slightly positive pitch attitude so it may not be an issue.

4 Likes

Normally I put my vertical speed at around 2500 or more after a few when I take off I try and climb to 40 thousand but the plane lose speed so I just stay at like around 3500feet or like 3000

@qwaickster_bagging It’s called step climbing so yes you are going to lose speed if you climb directly up to 40,000 and it is easier if you step climb so start off and like 32,000 then go to 36,000 then maybe to 38,000 or 40,000 your plane is supposed to do that well depending on the plane like the A321 I’m flying right now and it has a pitch of about 2-3’ like said above and the B737-800 is the same way so some planes are meant to fly with a pitch upwards I would recommend step climbing if you’re going to 40,000 see if you step climb you burn fuel at lower altitudes and if allows your aircraft to be lighter which then you won’t loose so much speed because at a higher altitude it is hard because there is less oxygen(honestly I have no clue what is up there like air pressure bare with me here) but it is harder to fly a large aircraft that is heavy at higher altitudes so always step climb if you want to go to 40,000

2 Likes

Tutorial on How to Step Climb:

When flying Long Haul flight, those that are 8hrs, 10hrs, 14hrs, and longer… then you need to Step Climb. The Tutorial above should help you. Also, @Zach007 explained it perfectly, so give his post a thorough read.

At this point, none of us knows what aircraft you were flying or what speed you were flying at, but all I’ve understood so far is that your V/S, the amount of Feet you ascend per minute is too high, when you’ve reached higher altitudes.

As you fly higher, you will lose speed, that is normal, so to compensate you also lower you V/S. You can’t be going 3500 feet per minute when you are at let’s say 29000ft (FL290). You have to lower to gain speed, even if you have your AP set. The Autopilot can’t hold on to your set speed, let’s say Mach 0.84 if you are ascending at such a high rate.

So start out at lower altitudes, then climb your way up, little by little, every few hours or so. But also your speed, we don’t know how fast you were flying, so providing us with that bit of the information would help us to help you further, and also what aircraft were you flying?

But the general basis is that when you fly heavy flights, with a lot of passengers, cargo and fuel then you will need to Step Climb. Now your plane depending on what aircraft you were flying will still pitch more or less, while some pitch more (787), and other a little less, around the average 2-3 degrees (A320-family, 777-family, etc…), so Step Climb, and set your AP to the correct speed and not having too high of a V/S when reaching higher altitudes. Gradually decrease you V/S to something like 800-1200 fpm when going above a certain altitude.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.