How to land with strong winds

So when I’m landing sometimes there’s always like winds blowing on the side of my plane and so when I land it always makes me veer of course the runway even when I try to use the flap to get back to the runway it still won’t budge and still veer off course causing me some violations cuz of the taxiway speed how to avoid this? And control your plane while landing with strong headwinds ?

In HUD view, I always try to keep the FPV centered on the runway. Your nose will face towards the wind, but the FPV is pointing in the direction of where you are going. All it takes is small corrections with the ailerons, and once you’re about to touchdown, use the rudder to face your nose straight.

See this post for more details:

2 Likes

In a real world crosswind landing, you would bank the aircraft slightly into the wind and apply rudder to align before touchdown. Means the wheels into the wind will touchdown first. This should make your xw landing better.

Keep in mind, that every aircraft has specific xw limits. For example a C172 can handle max 15kts, a jet like a 737 about 25kts.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

6 Likes

Sounds good so the plane should face the wind? And rudder should also align the runway?

So once I land I di that yea it takes me off course idk what I’m doing wrong I also try to do smooth touchdown but slams and goes onto the taxi way

If you have a right xw, bank the ac into the wind and apply left rudder to align. This is the procedure when you are close to the runway.

During the approach your nose will point in the wind to keep your track.

So once my back gears touches down maybe I start to point my nose where my FPV is?

Yeah, or just before touchdown

Ok thx for the answers guys!

Here’s a solid 50 minutes of crosswind landings.
Pay close attention to the FPV location.
https://youtu.be/Vs-Cv86YjG8

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.