How to land using VOR/NDB?

Hello! Just a quick question, how do we approach by using VOR or NDB in Infinite Flight? Thanks

1 Like

The 19.4 release introduced new UI controls with enhanced navigation features. APPR works the same but may require some additional setup prior to using.

Have a look at these tutorials! They explain and answer your questions very good!

2 Likes

I’ve read the tutorials, but I couldn’t find about how do we land by using the VOR’s. It only says how to tune into them.

I’m not an expert in these navigation tools nor a pilot but I’ll try my best to describe it as correctly as possible :)

(First of all I recommend to whatch some videos on YT on how to use a VOR and NDB itself and how to navigate with them if case you haven’t done so yet)
VOR and NDB approaches will differ from those kind of instrument approaches we’ve had so far in IF (ILS and GPS, although GPS wasn’t 100% realistic as most GPS approach types don’t provide vertical guidance as the one in IF did until the 19.4 update).
VOR and NDB are non-precision approaches. They don’t provide vertical guidance (glide path) and depending on their position they won’t lign you up with the RWY heading on final approach (what is mostly the case). So if the VOR or NDB of your airport is to the left or the right of the RWY you’ll have to align the aircraft visually with the RWY heading on short final.
Now in terms of how to do such an approach I only know the means published on instrument approach charts. They provide all necessary information to fly such an approach (radials, distances, altitudes etc.)
If you land at an airport which might be equipped with a VOR/NDB but without published approach chart then I’m not sure about the procedures which are to be followed. But maybe there’s someone that can tell us more about this…

You will not land using a VOR. You can use VOR’s for an approach, but you will not use them to land. Folks wanted the sim to be more “realistic and mirror that of the real world”. 19.4 introduced that next level of realism and it’s looking like the community may have bitten off more than they could chew. keyword may have 😄

If you’ve looked at the tutorials, I would look at them again and again and, yes again. More video tutorials will be out eventually, but folks need to play with these new features in solo and try to figure out what each button does.

Do you mean this is an actual simulation?

Not sure I’m understanding the question. But you will not use a VOR as a navigation source to land the aircraft. you’ll have either GPS or the ILS guidance down to minimums.

VORs, NDBs, GPS, and ILS are all 3 navigation sources that will guide you onto final.

It was an ironic question responding to

Folks wanted the sim to be more “realistic and mirror that of the real world”. 19.4 introduced that next level of realism and it’s looking like the community may have bitten off more than they could chew

1 Like

Oh. I gotcha now. 😂 Just pointing out an observation. All of the “I wants…” are starting to catch up.

3 Likes

You can read this tutorial I made to help you :)

1 Like

Wait till the clouds ☁️ Cause chaos

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.