How to know when to descend?

Hello all! I have been wondering this for a while…is there a specific way to know how far out you should begin your descent into your arrival airport? I have always just guessed and I always begin my descent way too early or too late and overshoot my arrival. Any tips or equations I can use to plan better? Thank you!

1 Like

This app called virtual hub has a TOD descent calculator:)

2 Likes

Try this descent calculator, works pretty well

1 Like

Well there is a thing that helps you decend… Now for decending I would recomend multiplying your altitude by 3 and the number you get is your decend nm and decend at vs of -2200 and speed of 300 kts

1 Like

A simple method is to take your cruising altitude, then divide it by your descent rate. E.G. If im cruising at 34,000 and descending at -1800, you can do 34,000/1,800 = 18.8 minutes ETE.

4 Likes

not bad good one!

Mine descend is you get your altitude and divide it by 1000 then you multiply that by 3 and you can add plus 10 and then you have your descend rate I usually go for between -1800 and -2100

Is this just an iOS app or do they have a website?

It’s an app on iOS app store

I usually do a 160 miles before reaching my destination at -1800

1 Like

Oh, I play on my iPhone and my only other device is the MacBook so I can’t download that app. Ill check the store on here first though

Im assuming from a cruise of about 34,000 ft?

1 Like

yup! I’m in the same boat as you. Fly/control on the iPhone…other device is a MacBook Air. haha

Here https://apps.apple.com/us/app/virtualhub/id1278250028

That’s the app

Its quite the efficient set-up haha! Currently flying salt lake city-LAX in a JetBlue e190. Not sure if they even fly that but still fun

1 Like

have a safe flight!

1 Like

Thank you! I checked the store on my mac and it says I can only download it on the phone. Thanks for the recommendation though

1 Like

When you are parked you can always go to the app and then go back to infinite flights

1 Like

@Cannoli928. MaxSez: A picture is worth 1000 words:

MaxSends

1 Like

I love Captain Joe! Ill have to give this video a watch thank you

1 Like