How to: Kai Tak Tutorial!

For the video that’s listed at the top.

Are you supposed to go near the mountains and then turn?

1 Like

Yes, that’s checkerboard hill!

1 Like

Ok. Thanks!

1 Like

Your welcome! In real life they would turn once they have visual of the checkerboard, as to not do a controlled decent into the hill. In Infinite Flight I would recommend practicing it before IFATC is there to determine when you want to turn; I turn around 20~50ft before crashing into it, like the video!

Hello,
I am a little confused where the checkerboard is in infinite flight, DME11 seems to be over some hills/ mountain a little bit out of the airport. I may be wrong , but I feel that this isn’t the checkerboard as it seems too far out. If you can help clear my confusion and possibly show me an imagine of the checkerboard in infinite flight that would be great. Also, Great tutorial it help a lot.
Thanks,
CaptainDinglehopper

1 Like

When your flying direct DME11. You have to start hand flying the approach to the runway.

1 Like

Well, unfortunately the checkerboard doesn’t render in Infinite Flight. You turn the checkerboard when you have visual of its lights, but in Infinite Flight those don’t exist. In real life this is done visually, so there is no actual, Specific point you are supposed to turn on; “you go by your gut” - an experienced pilot after flying their 100th Kai Tak approach. You can see the video above if you still can’t understand it!

1 Like

Alright, Thanks.

But does the hill the checkerboard is on top of render, or that too doesn’t aswell?

In this video you can see checkerboard hil! https://youtu.be/Fsyxc-3DCbI

It when the aircraft starts to turn:

1 Like

Alright, Thanks for the help!

1 Like

Taxing procedures are added!

This will be useful tomorrow. Nice guide!

1 Like

Now color-coded to make it easier!

Thx a lot! This is very helpful!

1 Like

Very nice tutorials, helps me a lot:)

1 Like

In the NOTAMS it states you should have the following waypoints: CH, GOLF, SL, HKMM1 and RW but nothing about the checkerboard
waypoint, unless approach is going to vector us towards it.

Cign :)

I see it! This approach is similar to the stonecutters’ approach, as it is easier and reduces clog! When doing the checkerboard you decide when to turn, when doing the stonecutters, it gives multiple land marks to gauge your approach, as not everyone is a world-class pilot! I recently practiced this approach, and it’s just as fun to do it!

1 Like

Kai Tak is always tricky, but loads of fun!

Nice tutorial, even though I knew most of it.

1 Like

turn once they have visual of the checkerboard

Not quite - the checkerboard was mainly used as a reference point for the guide in lights, and as a way to inform atc. It also came in handy when doing a pure visual approach. Typically, ATC would request that you inform them when you had visual on the checkerboard, and then clear you for the approach.

The flashing lead in lights on top of the buildings where used for turning, and visual queues.

HKMM1 is the checkerboard hill I think…
Or as close as it can get in IF

1 Like