How to have a glideslope without ILS?

I am approaching URKK right now and noticed that the airport doesn’t have ILS! Is there any way to have some sort of glide slope because I don’t want to decent just with my feeling

2 Likes

But does it work on runways without ILS?

No. ‘GPS’ is now visual, meaning you have to fly it manually or with AP on, but no APPR mode.

2 Likes

OOPS… Thought you asked about ILS. Sorry.

2 Likes

No ILS means no glideslope.

I’d recommend you using the FPV feature which makes it easier for you to adjust you height when approaching the runway.

1 Like

Damn now it’s gonna be a rough landing for the passengers😬😅

1 Like

Rest assured, you also have the PAPI lights:)

2 Likes

You can use charts that may have altitude benchmarks for the approaches. If found these 2 online. Also make sure to use the VASI/PAPI lights along the runway. White on white check your height. Red on red you may be dead.

6 Likes

Thanks alot

TBH I have no idea how they work but I will see very soon how it turns out

I think I got how they work we’ll see 😬

Thanks I made it

What are those charts called? They seem really helpful.

They are approach plates. Many airports around the world have them. You can find many by just googling “(Airport ICAO) Charts” or through services such as SkyVector. SkyVector has all the charts for the US for free, but there are world wide subscription services such as Jeppsen or Navigraph.

1 Like

Sweet, thank you

Just use the landing aids. I’m almost certain they’re the same thing.

@Maximilian1805
V
MaxSez: Forget about Approach Charts ect as you master landings visually, (a non-precision Approach), The Procedure your question relates to follows. (ILS is a “precision approach” which has Landing aids which includes the electronically calibrated glide-scope which are found only at major airports routinely. )

In answer to your question; visual approaches are flown from Pattern altitude, 1000 ft AGL for light aircraft or 1500 ft AGL for others. The HUD (synthetic vision system) in every IF aircraft is the key visual aid for visual approaches. Use the HUD horizontal stadia lines for a routine 3deg decent rate and the Boresight -V- and Vector (FPV) for alignment. Fly the V which compensated for wind drift to your touchdown point. Master this techniques and practice visual approaches till your comfortable.
Then and only then you can move on to more sophisticated procedures like precision approaches and flight information publications and procedures. (Approach Charts/Plates will come to you naturally as you progress in skill levels. Practice and Learning terms and procedures comes over time, education and practices
Which the IF Pilot makes.MaxSends

(In the HUD +The boresight symbol (-v-) is in the center and directly below that is the flight path vector (FPV) symbol (the circle with short wings and a vertical stabilizer). The horizon line is visible running across the display with a break at the center, and directly to the left are numbers at ±10 degrees with a short line at ±5 degrees (the +5 degree line is easier to see) which, along with the horizon line, show the pitch of the aircraft.)
NOTE: The “Airplane Flying Handbook”” available free from faa.gov is suggested”

2 Likes

Noamsez: valid points Max, but GPS approaches are a thing, even in light aircraft. I know not all GPS’s are created equal, but I was definitely sad to see GPS approaches go.

Technically they aren’t gone, if anything the way they were implemented before wasn’t even anything different from the ILS. GPS approaches are present every where, especially RNAVs. Almost every single airport has them and they are flown by the waypoints with a typical 3° descent angle. Here is KMRY for example, although this is 3.6° it still serves the point.

Sorry I should have been more clear. Many GPS’s can set up a kind of precision approach for you, complete with glideslope and localizer. That was what IF was simulating with the option to choose GPS approaches.

1 Like