How to get into the cockpit?

In 2 weeks I’m going to Pakistan for vacation on PIA’s 777-200LR! I want to go inside the cockpit to meet the pilots but I don’t know how to… Does anyone know how to go in the cockpit? Pls help me because I want to create a trip report about it and if I get into the cockpit I’ll @ you in the post!

3 Likes

Wild idea: you could ask a flight attendant

2 Likes

Try to be one of the last to disembark. As you leave the jet, ask a member of the cockpit crew to see the cockpit. Given how busy the cockpit crew are before a flight, you’re far more likely to be accepted after landing, I remember flying United’s 787 back in 2018 and gave me this wing pin. (The aircraft model was from me)

5 Likes

When you are boarding, look straight into the cockpit when you enter the plane, then if there is a flight attendant there, they will probably ask you if you would like to go inside the cockpit! It happened to me back in August when I was flying from KSTL-KDFW, it was amazing!

2 Likes

Tell them you are accustomed to enter the cockpit. Make them understand this is el classico for you.🐭

3 Likes

Why do you manage to do this every time

12 Likes

its against FAA rules in the US to go into cockpit i thought

Just do ask a flight attendant, I recommend doing it when disembarking

3 Likes

All correct! Best you visit the cockpit upon arrival, it’s as simple as asking the crew while leaving. There’s been a couple times that they’ve offered me to go outside on the ramp, gotta have a super nice crew though.

This is true but it’s really only restricted in-flight, they’ll almost always say no en-route and in the air.

4 Likes

oh ok, only in flight

1 Like

As someone who has met the pilot, and been inside the cockpit, I recommend this.

1. I did it on a special event where this was the last flight for a veteran pilot with American Airlines from Milan (LIMC) to New York (KJFK) in the beautiful 777-200. I waited until everyone disembarked at JFK for a celebration at the gate with some food. Then, I walked up to him after they cut his tie (American tradition), and asked.

2. On conventional flights, never approach the cockpit during flight. Do it during the pre-flight and after shut down (for security reasons). If during the flight, just ask kindly to one of the flight attendants to pass on the message. You might even get cockpit seating for the landing! Patience and kindness is key. ;)

This is from the topic I made for it. Still warms my heart to this day having this privilege:

I wish you luck on your endeavors!

11 Likes

Me at the cockpit of a 738

3 Likes

I have gotten to experience sitting jump seat in a 321 before but only during a repositioning flight. My dad had to take a 321 from DFW-MCO and I got to sit in the jump seat the whole time but it is very very illegal at least in the US to jump seat on a regular schedule passenger flight.

3 Likes

The flight attendant offered, I didn’t even ask!

2 Likes

I recently sat in the first officers seat in an A321. Usually, just ask the pilots as you are disembarking. As others on here have mentioned, it definitely helps if you are the last to disembark the plane.

3 Likes

I’d assume it is due to national security. I’ve never gotten cockpit seating during active flights on a passenger airliner. Doesn’t mean others have not, despite laws or guidelines which vary from country to country. :)

1 Like

That’s the main reason why but like the original post said he is going on a Pakistan Airlines flight so rules could be different over there

2 Likes

So the way that the regulations work in the US (I have a friend who is a pilot for American airlines) is that if you are a registered pilot with that particular airline who is “flying deadhead” (basically means the airline is transporting you so that you can pilot planes somewhere else), you are legally allowed to sit on the flight deck. But the captain of that particular flight also has the right to deny you jump-seat access.

If you are off-duty however, you are legally not allowed to sit on the flight deck.

1 Like

The Classic el Classico

2 Likes

Nice crews are always the most memorable ones! I received some flight crew wings from an AAL 737 pilot last year from visiting the cockpit, I still have them :)

3 Likes