How to get a smooth lift off?

Hi IFC,

For some time i have been trying to perfect my take offs in IF. Always trying to get them as smooth as possible. Now i fly the A320 family mostly and find that they can be a bit ‘snappy’ to lift off. I have tried many techniques so get a smooth take off but have never quite perfected it.

So, i am wondering what you do, like your tips and tricks for a smooth take off in the A320 family.

Any comments will be appreciated,
Alex

What setting of flaps are you using?

I would suggest:

Flaps - 1
Throttle - no more than 96% N1
Speed - depending on weight a good rotate speed is ~ 120 - 130kias
Trim - if you need to you could use some negative trim, but I would try the above techniques first

Good Luck! ;D

1 Like

I set Flaps to 2, and throttle between 70-85%. Rotate at 130-140 and slowly increase throttle to 90 and liftoff :)

1 Like

Just slowly raise the pitch by around 2-3 degrees a second for an initial pitch attitude of 10 degrees. After lift-off, continue to raise the nose smoothly at a rate of no more than 2 to 3 degrees per second toward 15 degrees of pitch attitude.

That’s a very odd technique increasing the thrust as you are rotating. Set whatever take off power you need at the start of the roll and leave the throttle alone until you are at at least 1000ft AAL.

2 Likes

Hey , team I’m aware people usually leave the throttle as it is, but I don’t feel that it follows the noise abatement procedures NADP
I don’t push the throttle all the way up to 90+ at takeoff immediately, IMG_0347

When I follow this procedure, with a V2 of 150 during my climb to 3000 I increase the speed to 170 hence the increase in throttle upon liftoff. I understand that you could push it up to 94n straight off the bat but I just do it this way because it’s what gives me a smoother takeoff and what I’m comfortable with.

noise abatement does not involve increasing thrust during rotation either. fine if you want to do something different, but please don’t suggest what you are doing relates to real life things like noise abatement. noise abatement in no way suggests using reduced thrust during take off and then increasing it upon rotation.

Take off thrust is set at the start of the roll. Normal take off profile is where the initial climb does not involve increasing speeds, you maintain V2 or V2+10 until acceleration height (typically 1000ft AAL), then you reduce pitch to allow the aircraft to accelerate to UP speed and retract flaps on schedule on the way.

with noise abatement you have an intermediate step where you reduce thrust (i.e. to reduce the noise) and reduce pitch but maintain speed (basically what is happening at 800-3000ft AGL on the diagram you posted), then at the delayed acceleration height you reduce pitch to accelerate the aircraft to UP speed and retract flaps on schedule.

See I don’t set take off thrust before departure roll because at times my real wheels stick on the runway for a long time so I have to push up on the throttle to get the wheels off the ground. I’ve also done what you do by setting throttle before departure roll but this just something that I’ve started doin recently and seems to work well for me.

In no way, am I replicating real life take off simulations and am aware of that as well, my takeoffs irl are very different :). IF is a good avenue to try new and different things, it’s all about variety

1 Like

Thanks a lot @Alfster, @ATK and @SterlingArcher for your replies i will try your techniques. I do find the increasing throttle one a bit strange and alien, but if it works it works.

2 Likes

Than you do not have your throttle set high enough. You should not have to increase your throttle to get you off the ground. Your throttle should be set somewhere between 95 and 99 N1 for the duration of your takeoff roll and rotation. And I’m curious as to what aircraft you are flying that has a 150kt V2??

Don’t forget to trim your aircraft. From an actual A320 family pilot ( @rah )

Continuing the discussion from Takeoff A320:

And I know he says “most realistic” but that config allows you to take a “smooth lift off” if you do your part correctly.

2 Likes

737? A321, usually depends on the weight

There is literally no aviation technique or procedure that calls for an addition or even a reduction of thrust during rotation.

Doing that is on the same level with say…putting your gear down in the flare.

On takeoff, you set takeoff thrust, whether it’s the autothrottles advancing to takeoff EPR or the pilot flying will push up the throttles to th exact takeoff N1.

Many airplanes’ technical manuals require or call for a takeoff to be aborted if the required takeoff N1 isn’t set by 80knots.

Stop doing this “technique” of adjusting power. It’s just wrong. Lol

Well I can tell you that this is the reason why you have a problem getting off the ground in a passenger jet. For the A300 series and 737 series, your V2 should be around 165 to 170kts. Next time you take off in one of those, try immediately increasing your throttle to 97 or 98 N1 and don’t try to rotate until 165kts. I guarantee you, your plane will come up no problem (depending on wind as well).

1 Like

As said above, something new I’m trying :) I used to do it just like everybody else

I got ya, I’m just offering advice.

Isint 165 a bit too late?

Oh, I’ve got nothing against that completely appreciate it, my response was to mjpotts

I fly the 330 quite regularly at MTW and anything slower than that and I ride the main for a 1000 feet. It may be slightly slower in the smaller planes but if your flying close to MTW than the speed is needed to get you off the ground.

Makes sense, I almost never fly at MTW or even MLW mostly do short hauls and regionals bout it. Thanks for the input tho, will defn try for long hauls

1 Like

But, it is just game… so have fun with whatever you do!

1 Like