How to fly a VOR approach

Hello!
19.4 brought some great things, one of those things is the ability to tun into a VOR Frequency.
Now, you’re probably wondering what a VOR is.

VOR: Very High Frequency Omni-Directional Range is a type of short-range radio navigation system for aircraft, enabling aircraft with a receiving unit to determine its position and stay on course by receiving radio signals transmitted by a network of fixed ground radio beacons.

What does a VOR Look like?
On Aeronautical charts, they will most likely look like this:
In Infinite Flight, they look like this:

Step 1

Now that we’ve got that out of the way, we can begin.

First off, you’re going to need an Airport Chart with a VOR Approach. I like to get mine from here, but keep in mind that this website does not have good coverage of US airports. To use this, simply swap out the ICAO in the link to your desired airport’s ICAO.

For this example, I will be using the DORIA 11A Approach at ZUUU.

What does all of this mean?
Heres a Diagram:
tempsnip
Red: ‘D41.0’ - This is the distance in NM from your VOR, which I will explain next.
Orange: ‘CTU’ - The VOR I am tuned into.
Purple: The Co-ordinates of this point, not important
Blue: Heading you to reach the next point.

Step 2

Now that you understand the terinology, lets move onto how to actually fly the approach.

From this, we can see that DOREX is a navaid, which means you can set it into your FLP.
Once you reach this point, you want read this:

From DOREX, fly heading 180 until you are D41.0 NM from CTU, once at D41.0 CTU, you want to turn left heading 215 until you are 30NM from CTU, while at the same time, you should make sure that you are near 8860 Feet, once here, continue using your chart to fly the approach.

But how do I know when I am D41 from CTU?

Well, if you have tuned into the VOR correctly, you should have a HUD like this:
If you look at the bottom, just above ‘Visibility’
You will see ‘BRG1 NAV1 CTU’
Below that there should be a distance, that is your D

How to tune into a VOR:

This short video I have made will guide you through on how to tune into a VOR.

Hope this helps!
Fly High!

14 Likes

Great tutorial! I’ll try to use it when needed! Thank you. :)

Thank you very much to share this

I’ve been waiting so much to have working VORs in the game so I can accurately follow charts

Good luck explaining DME arcs that easily haha

1 Like

I would love it if someone could categorize this to Tutorials?

So once you reach D21.0 CTU do you tune into the ILS and fly the glide slope or do you just use the PAPI’s? Secondly, sometimes the charts say I need to hold a -3 degree vs but that never really works and is very difficult in IF…

Usually you will fly CAT approaches, which are basically ILS approaches, except they help guide you into the localizer.

1 Like

Okay thanks!

Very usefull tutorial! Just did 2 flights with the VORs, and it makes it a lot more realistic! Thank you so much!

I have a question, though. Is there any way to see the distance to your VOR in the live cockpit? Because I need to turn on the HUD to see it.

The distance and localizer are only visible if the VOR is set to NAV1. I’m not sure if it is possible to view many VORs from the glass cockpit IRL

2 Likes

Aaah, that’s why! Thanks for clearing that up!

1 Like

Updated the thread, now shows how to tune into a VOR frequency.

I think it is only available on the A350, maybe the A320, I’ll have a look though.

I used the A319, but it’s likely going to be what Kiz said.

Can someone explain the difference between this and a STAR which can just be put into a flightplan with simbrief and can follow the real approach charts to know what altitudes to be at etc.

They’re just two different approach charts…
If you want to learn more

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.