How To Execute A Go Around

Just send them a “Check help pages”

2 Likes

yeah but to a Grade 1 that means nothing to them trust me the still don’t know what line up and wait means 😂

1 Like

Love tutorials like this every week

Thanks for the tutorial, Mark.

I would like to bring attention to this subject again. :) A lot, if not most pilots do not know how to properly perform a go around.

Note that Mark stays on runway heading until he gets to pattern altitude. Don’t start turning away immediately. Then you can cause conflict with other arriving aircraft. Simply stay on runway heading, and do a normal pattern. :)

1 Like

Did this at KEGE then crashed

Why? Of course you have to take into consideration the surrounding terrain. Take the highest point nearby and add ~1500 - 2000 ft, then you have the pattern altitude. :)

1 Like

I did just didn’t climb in time

Thanks Mark for the tutorial. I think I should learn more about going around approriately

You perform a ‘Go-Around’ and then follow the Missed Approach Procedure.

For example the ‘standard’ missed approach at Heathrow onto 27L is:

At MNM 1080 or D0 before ILL whichever is later,
LT 149Degrees - D6 LON MAX 2000 after D6 LON climb 3000

Which means after application of TOGA and the initial climb you follow the Missed approach procedure as laid down above. Initial climb to 2000’ at 1080’ or D0 from the LON beacon left turn tracking 149 degrees, at D6 LON climb to 3000’.

So, Go-Around called (ground or flight crew) missed approach flown.

Hope that helps.

3 Likes

I think he means the classic “when to tell a pilot to go around vs. when to tell a pilot to execute missed approach” but awesome explanation! :)

Bumping this topic because over the course of the week, I’ve noticed more folks announcing go arounds or ATC instructing an aircraft to go around but the procedure is missing the mark.

Most of the time, ATC instructs an aircraft to go around due to another aircraft occupying the runway. What I mean by this is that they’re rolling out from their landing, on their departure roll, or crossing the active runway for which you are lined up and cleared to land on.

The issue:

Folks who are going around are making their turns too early.

So… why’s this an issue?

• If you’re on the go around and you turn your crosswind turn right as ATC told you to go around, you’re risking the chance of turning into another aircraft who may be on the downwind. You are likely cutting off other aircraft in the pattern and making the pattern all that more stressful for ATC.

What can I do?

• Refer to the tutorial video at the top of this topic.

• In the event that you’re told to go around due to an aircraft in the middle of their departure roll, there’s a chance that the departing aircraft will climb right into your aircraft as you are climbing or leveling out if you follow the procedure that Mark outlined in this tutorial. Sometimes its a safe practice to perform a maneuver called “Side-Step”. Essentially what this means is that you’ll fly parallel to the runway you are going around on.

• You can offset yourself by a few wingspan lengths.

• Fly to the the end of the runway threshold or to the pattern altitude for that airport. (1000ft AGL for small GA or props) (1500ft AGL for larger aircraft)

• Observe the flow of traffic while in the pattern and understand to the best of your ability who’s following who. Listening to ATC give instructions to aircraft in-front of or behind you will make you more situationally aware and will not only ease your time in the pattern but also for ATC. The easier you can make it on them, the more fluid things will flow and the less go around instructions that will be sent to you as a result.

13 Likes

Mark is
always the best at explaining the proper procedures

1 Like

Can u please give me the landing information for the 777 200 and a380 planes in what the flaps should be and altitude and regulation to have a successful landing and departure for these 2 great planes because every time I land them the lights on the airport are red showing my angle and altitude off !

When ever you want for landing. Just remember to be fully configured by 3.5nm from the runway:)
For dep. Takeoff then when you pass 1500ft agl, point your nose down abit and reduce power. And when you reach the maximum flap extended speed, just get them back up:)
And by the way, when landing try to keep the arrow on your right side to the center:)

For a go around would you re-contact approach?

yea unless directed by tower other wise

1 Like

Do Not contact approach unless/until tower tells you to. Just want to make it clear that you shouldn’t change frequency without permission

Also, sometimes approach will not be active, in which case you would just stay on the tower frequency.

2 Likes

Alright, just clarifying as ATC, thanks you two