How to do a proper toga takeoff

I do know what it is but what power do you set the engines and what do you need to do

1 Like

In real life, TOGA usually is when the N1 (not the throttle) is set between 90-100%.

Also, when do planes normally use it?

Either when the plane is heavy or when the runway is small.

Hi Kacper!

TOGA takeoff refers to a full thrust takeoff in real life. Speaking of Toga, I strongly recommend you use it when you are flying with the A330 when it’s heavy. The A330 engines are not as powerful as other wide bodies in infinite flight. I also recommend you to not use toga when you are flying the Boeing 777 and Boeing 787 as their engines are really powerful. Even if you are heavy, a good 80-85 N1 is more than enough.

Hope you are having a great day!

5 Likes

Yeah doing a toga power takeoff in the B777s will quite literally shoot you to the moon

3 Likes

I guess the GE9X will…

1 Like

TOGA is your takeoff thrust setting. Almost always will it be under 100% throttle, as this increases wear on the engines. If you’re not particularly heavy you can use a lower thrust setting (I normally do this) called FLEX on Airbus planes.

1 Like

AFAIK there’s no TOGA setting in Infinite flight. If you wanted to simulate a true TOGA take off there are a series of calculations that you can do by hand, but on most commercial airframes the flight computer will do them for you.

1 Like

If TOGA isn’t 100% throttle(not N1), then what throttle percentage would you use?

It depends on weight, weather and length of the runway

5 Likes

If anyone wants to correct any of the following, feel free, this is just my understanding. This is based off of the 737, but honestly it applies to most airliners, the only difference possibly being the numbers given. This also got much longer than expected. To summarise, the answer is there is no easy solution.

TO/GA stands for takeoff / go around thrust. In a Boeing aircraft, every takeoff is a TO/GA takeoff (at least I think every Boeing A/C, certainly the 73).

However, we don’t want to use full thrust every single time. That would create loads of noise and air pollution, increase fuel costs, and increase mechanical wear on the engine. So if possibles, takeoff thrust can be reduced (or “derated”).

There are a couple of different standard derate presets that can be used (usually 26k, 24k, and 22k pounds of thrust on the 737). 26k is essentially full thrust.

The calculations to determine the amount of thrust required, along with all the other performance calculations, are done by a set of calculations, which could theoretically be done by hand, used to be done by reading tables and graphs, and now is done by a computer. For the 737, that would be with the Boeing OPT (onboard performance tool) app, but unfortunately this is not publicly available.

However, as we only have those three presets (26k, 24k, and 22k), we need a way of getting the thrust to exactly where we want it, because we don’t want to have any excess thrust. To do this, we can use something called “assumed temperature correction”.
Above a certain temperature (around 15°C), the electronic engine control system will start to gradually reduce the amount of thrust produced. So if we tell the FMS that it’s actually hotter outside than it really is, then we can fine tune the amount of thrust it produces.
For example, if we required 23k pounds of thrust, we couldn’t use 22k because we’d run out of runway. If used 26k we’d takeoff with 3k pounds excess. If we use 24k we’d takeoff with only 1k excess, but still an excess. We could though use 24k, then find the temperature where the EEC would reduce it to only 23k, so that we have no excess and enter the as the “actual” temperature. This is the most optimum option.
This is also called FLEX on Airbus aircraft by the way.

In addition, if full 26k thrust with no assumed temperature is not possible because of performance availability (e.g. runway length), other things can be done such as turning off engine bleed air.

In any case, the crew will always push the TO/GA button when setting T/O thrust. This will set the computer-set thrust, initiate TO/GA guidance on the flight director, and a couple of other bits. So, a TO/GA takeoff is no different to any other takeoff, whether that be with a heavily derated thrust setting, or full thrust, and nothing different needs to be done.

As for what N1% percentage to use in IF, honestly no one really knows. Usually 85%-96 will work fine, but more may be needed. This would be calculated by the performance toll IRL.

4 Likes

What would be a normal N1 percentage reduction when initiating climb power?

To be honest I don’t know how they do in real life, how I do it is just a reduction to the minimum N1 needed to climb at around 2500 fpm

1 Like

87% N1 once stable above 1000 ft

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.