How to differ an Airbus A320 from an A319 with 4 exits on wings?

image image

I’ve been into planes for a very long time. I can identify the plane, the airline and sometimes even its route and departure/arrival airport. But there is something that gets me very often; identifying an A319 with 4 emergency exits on the wings and an A320.
The first, and usually the only thing I look to differ A319 and A320 are the emergency exits on the wings, if there are only two (one on one side and one on the other) emergency exits, I know that it’s an A319, if there are four (two on one side an two on the other) it’s an A320.

First, I saw an A319 on Flightradar24 with four exits on the wings, I thought that it was a mistake, but it kept happening. So that’s how I learned the little game Airbus has been playing with us. :) Now, if I see 4 exits, I look if the plane is long enough to be an A320, but there isn’t a big length difference between A319 and A320, so if there are four doors and my angle of looking to the plane isn’t good enough to see a length difference, then I just prefer staying quiet. :)

I’m sure that some aviators like me got confused when they saw an A319 with four emergency exits on the wings. What else technique can you use to differ A319 and A320?

1 Like

I mean to be honest the length difference isn’t all that subtle. Honestly I’d just count windows or see where the cargo doors are located along the fuselage.

1 Like

I think this should be in #real-world-aviation

1 Like

This topic needs to be in #real-world-aviation. Unfortunately, you are not the required trust level to post there (TL2 required) and it cannot be moved as the trust level doesn’t permit such thing.

Edit: @FlyingTarsier got it a second before me 🤦‍♂️

1 Like

To post in #real-world-aviation you need to be trust level 2 or higher. Be active in the community for a little longer and you will get there.

Members are not allowed to move posts when the trust level does not allow it.

1 Like