How to determine correct taxiways to use

Some large airports have a labyrinth of taxiways…how do we know which is the correct one to use? (When ATC doesn’t give any directions of course). also, should we be taxiing on the closest taxiway that is parallel to the runway when trying to depart? or is that reserved for arriving aircraft?

If you can find the taxiway procedures at that airport online the use that. If you can’t find that then just follow others if you’re at a busy airport. If it’s quiet just try and make as few turns as possible and stay on one taxiway

What I do is look at charts of the airport before hand, or I will look at the map and just point myself in the general direction. I sometimes write it out with pencil with super complicated airports.

Opposite. Closest is for arriving aircraft, outer for departures.

5 Likes

It really depends on the airport, where the runways and ramps are situated and what not. I like to use the closest to the runway to taxi in the opposite direction I landed/took off in, and then alternate as you go out. It might not be correct, but for the most part it has worked.

Any known website that provide taxiway charts?

Search up “ICAO ground charts” and you’ll find plenty of results.

I find that https://vau.aero/navdb/chart/ICAO.pdf works pretty well.

3 Likes

I would look up your flight on FR24. There you can see the taxi route. Keep in mind that this doesn’t work for some airports such as CDG.

1 Like

When I fly, I use Flightradar24 for my gate, cruising Alt, and flight details. I generally create my own flight plans, using departure and approach charts.

I use Flightradar24 as a map, since I personally find it a lot easier to locate myself and navigate to the gate which is used by the real world flight.

1 Like

it says “access denied” when i click on the link. LOL

@Captain_Oblivious… MaxSez: The simple answer to this question is the implementation of the “PROGRESSIVE TAXI” Procedure to the, when active,IF ATC Ground requirement.

“PROGRESSIVE TAXI” is an FAA approved procedure;

Definition; Precise taxi instructions given to a pilot unfamiliar with the airport or issued in stages as the aircraft proceeds along the taxi route.

Use; Progressive taxi instructions are issued on a step-by-step basis and are used:

• When requested by the pilot (e.g. due to unfamiliarity with the aerodrome). Or
  • When deemed necessary by the air traffic controller (e.g. due to construction works, closed taxiways, etc.). Or
  • In accordance with local instructions (e.g. during reduced visibility etc.

I can hear the Controllers squealing from here. Consider this first;
GROUND issues; Push Back, Taxi (to thresholds/ Parking) and controls movement area’s. Why not a little help for the lost sheep &
minor workload adjustment.
Just Sayin, Max

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.