How to descend (For Beginners) in a simple way

PHOTOS SOON

So I brought for you a new tutorial,
on How to descent (For Begginers) in a simple way
here are the steps for descending:-
1. Imagine I am descending to land at TNCM Rwy 10, (I recommend to use TNCM, because it’s easy, approx. on the sea level) and my ALT is 20000ft, you need to multiply the altitude by 3 (I recommend to multiply it by 3.5 (For better experience)), then divide it by 1000
So 20000×3.5=70000÷1000=70NM out of the Destination
Do your all calculations before takingoff
2. When descending, I recommend for the Vertical Speed to be ** -1300-----> -1600**
3. When you reach 3000ft, keep your ALT 3000 until you establish on Localizer.
That’s all,
Thanks for Reading!

140 Likes

I’ll see if I can do this more often.

8 Likes

This is useful for servers like Free Flight and ATC Playground. Advanced usually has approach, and I only fly when there’s more than 20 pilots on an Advanced server, and there’s most likely Approach at the airport I’m going to. Will keep this in mind for when I do a flight with no ATC involved I guess.

11 Likes

Nice tutorial, but there are some things to clear up.

It would be best to use a higher altitude as an example, but I like your calculations. Even explain about what VS you would use at those higher altitudes.

Depending on the airport is what altitude you enter the localiser.

Anyway, it’s a nice tutorial.

5 Likes

It is for Begginers, and it is just an Example, Anyways I changed it to 20k ft

The Same VS

The example was about TNCM

2 Likes

Great Tutorial for newbies:

rather than multiply then divide I find it a bit easier to just devide the FL by 3. gets the same result.

The VS changes on your alt as well though. As a rough guide I tend to use VS-2500 when above FL100 and -1500 when below 10,000. Its a very rough guide which is fairly close to how it is done IRL. There is a formula for calculating your VS based on your GS, however my brain power cant cope with that at the same time as trying to do other matters!

when I first started I made myself some charts showing how far out from a runway what height I needed to be, the VS needed and the target speed too. Found this a big help and would recommend and new IF Pilots to spend a bit of time with a calculator and piece of paper to work out some basic maths to have to hand.

7 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

3 Likes

Is there a particular speed at which we should be descending at?

1 Like

For A320 Family, B737, B747, B777 and Minimum weight,
From FL200 TO FL150 280knots
From FL150 to 9500ft 200knots
9500 till 5000 170knots
5000 till 3000 160knots
3000 till landing Depends on the aircraft

11 Likes

again it depnds on your height as well as the aircraft that you are flying. Some (like the 777 and other heavys) you need to slow down early, whilst some of the smaller ones can carry speed till much later on.

Again as a rule of thumb I work with the following figures:

Cruise at M0.799 - M0.82 at FL320-FL380
Descend to FL120 with VS -2500 and Speed M0.69 / 260kts
FL120 - 6000 with VS -2500 / -1500 and speed 240kts

usually from about 8000 ft I am slowing right down to about 180 kts when 8nm from runway and can slow down to landing speed and final landing config by reaching 1000ft AGL.

5 Likes

What should be the speed

1 Like

It’s explained in the post above, you also need to mention which aircraft you’re using as each is different

2 Likes

Could you please send me some of your notes
very useful

1 Like

Most of my notes are written in this thread ;-)

1 Like

Thank you. Will use this when global comes out😉

1 Like

Mel personally I put my VS to 2000 and I noticed I decend to fast. thanks for the tutorial

2 Likes

Thanks! Exactly what I needed! Every time I descend I’m just about to stall. I’ll admit it, I’m not a good pilot in IF. Probably because I cruise really high up when the regions are really small. When Global is out I’m sure I would be a pretty ok pilot if I do say so myself :)

3 Likes

If you guys have any questions please dont hesitate and ask!

1 Like

What speed should I descend at in a 757?! Please answer ASAP!

1 Like

Whatever fits best your FPL, speed and distance to destination.

3 Likes