How to De-ice a Plane, Turkish Airlines Way

So many of you may have seen this already, but really? Really?

11 Likes

Wow! Very professional

1 Like

There’s a lot of ice on those wings! Let’s put some water on that in freezing temperatures to help the situation.

8 Likes

Safe to say I’d be right off that plane, straight away!

I’ve seen some crazy things at airports recently, a recent flight I had from Las Vegas to Manchester ground staff were bringing the 787 in to take me home and as the guy was waving the pilot into position he was talking to his mate and then the 787 engine smacked into a jet bridge.

We had to wait for another 787 come from England…
On the positive we were awarded a refund of our flights and anot her flight complimentary.

I was utterly speechless though I felt the planes pain !

Where do they employ some of these guys haha

5 Likes

I believe that’s how the Wright Brothers did it as well. However, I doubt that it would clean the wings. Ice on the wings can reduce the lift. Depending on the aircraft, it can be fatal. With airplanes with tail mounted engines, the ice can fall off the wings and into the engines, which can cause an engine flameout and the loss of one engine, SK751 - The Miracle in Göttröra, lost both engines due to ice on the wings.

2 Likes

Have you got any photos?

2 Likes

Terrible. Unfortunately when they are under time and financial strain they turn to these “bad” practices.

1 Like

The high tech de-icing technique is amazing! Now move! while i spin the prop!

4 Likes

That doesn’t look like glycol, the de-icing fluid, which has an orange hue. That just look like water.

1 Like

I wish I did the only souvenir I had was a letter of apology for the delay, plus I had my wife going nuts as she was tired…

Needless to say my head would have felt like it had ran into a jet bridge if I’d have said I need get a photo, she thinks I’m crazy when it comes to planes and me spending days of on IF instead of going out doing things lol.

We were all ushered straight to a bus to take us to a hotel soon after which is why the wife was flapping…

3 Likes

I’d say this video is likely to have been taken out of context, I doubt this would be legit de-icing with today’s health & safety regulations.

2 Likes

ok… how is this de icing?

2 Likes

All you need is a bottle of vodka, and the thing will never freeze.

4 Likes

That’s actually pretty cool. But basic.

1 Like

I prefer de-icing things with the fire of my mixtape.

7 Likes

‘Now where did the stewardess say the emergency exits were?’

4 Likes

I hope that’s ethylene glycol or vodka, water can be really bad.

Username checks out. But I think they do that in Russia.

4 Likes

And the quote of the year is…

3 Likes

In mother Russia back in the day they didn’t have means of de icing at the moment so they used vodka cause it doesn’t freeze

2 Likes

Well you can’t decide yet, it’s only been 11/365 days.

2 Likes