How to butter the 757?

Hey guys! Here you will be able to learn how to butter the 757! I make this topic because the 757 is very sensitive and difficult to land…

1. Make sure you have 30° of flaps, spoilers armed and keep the speed autopilot between 140 and 145 knots of airspeed or control the speed manually if you’re comfortable. Keep in mind that the speed can change according to your weight.

2. Stay in the glide-slope. PAPI lights should show you 2 reds and 2 whites. Make small corrections if needed.

3. Check your localiser to stay centerlined. Once again, make small corrections if needed.

4. The moment you hear “50”, if you still have the speed autopilot on, disconnect it.

5. Just after that, start flaring smoothly and pull back the throttle 15 to 20%. Also, don’t forget to use a little bit of rudder to maintain the centerline!

That’s it! Obviously, you won’t butter the first time but if you practice, you’ll become a butter landings master!

One more thing… Keep in mind that if you flare to early or if ou float, you can always go around! ;)

And btw, if you want to chack out my landings on the 757, click on this link below!

Have a great day and stay safe!

31 Likes

Wow all this grease. Might wanna check the cholesterol levels now

3 Likes

Lmao. I think you should…

1 Like

The key to getting butter landings is getting the aircraft low crossing the threshold 50ft from touchdown
I like moderate to hard landing - under 400 fpm, ideally less than 300fpm

2 Likes

That’s a good technique!

2 Likes

irl u could flare once u hear “10” but sadly i noticed in IF if u do 99% of the time u will not grease it especially if u are coming in @ 150 on the speed (which irl they do depending on aircraft type of course) :(

2 Likes

Yeah that’s why u have to get used to IF’s physics to butter…

hell even at “20” depending on the aircraft u might still end up with -400 on IF lol once i was in a 788 and landed at like -300 something and the 3rd party app i was using the passengers where clapping but the rate isn’t all dat good like wth XD

1 Like

It’s not IF’s fault it’s the pilots…

Not really xd

Well if you can find the right speeds/trim to flare good then I believe it’s your fault lol

i jus got a nice -159 on the a350 just now so i guess im lucky lol

1 Like

Assuming you’re under MLW you should only need 125-130IAS if flaps is 30°.

Unless it’s pitch-white out and APPR is enabled autopilot should be off by the time you reach your final approach speed (which is somewhere around 5nm from the runway threshold).

By the time GPWS calls “20” you should begin your flare and reduce throttle to idle, and when your main gear’s down use the rudder to align yourself with the centerline, then when your nose wheel is on the ground you should deploy thrust reversers.

1 Like

Hmmm I could use this. Let’s just say a didn’t butter the river approach earlier today. On my defense the wind was over 20kts with turbulence and wind shears

1 Like

To be honest 757 hard to land most important it’s very skiddy than other planes .

1 Like

This topic is very helpful, thank you 🌹

1 Like

Well, that’s how I do it too! Not too low, but being slightly low above the threshold gives more room for a slight float but still nailing the touchdown zone.

2 Likes

Why is your autopilot on until 50’?
Hand fly a bit…knock off your automation as you pass 10000 if you can.

1 Like

Do you mean 1000?

1 Like

No 1-0, 10,000,

If there is no IFATC, Severe WX, Traffic, or an overly complicated arrival, it’s great to kick off the autopilot as soon as possible and actually hand fly.

1 Like