How to be realistic?

This would belong in #ground-school if it’s a tutorial

2 Likes

I think you should close all the doors before requesting pushback so you are actually ready to push

Same thing here request taxi when you are 100% ready

9 Likes

I’m sure there’s some realism guide lurking around here but what I do is:

• start APU/master batt
  • create FPL, set climb profile
  • close doors
  • turn on nav/beacon lights
  • request push
  • on push start no. 2
  • line up with taxiway, start no. 1
  • flight control check
  • set trim and flaps
  • request taxi
  • taxi, switch to tower
  • request departure, when cleared to line up/cleared for takeoff, turn on landing lights and strobes and line up/takeooff
3 Likes

Doesn’t look like a tutorial to me, but more like how op does their procedures. and wants to know what would be the most realistic procedures.

3 Likes

@tunamkol reply of

Is the easiest way for you to stay somewhat near what you are doing.

1 Like

I’m not going to give specific advice but I’ll redirect you to some resources:

In terms of using ATC, read the user guide (I advice reading the ATC side of things as well so you know what your controllers are looking to do)
For aircraft operation, there isn’t a definitive guide so use your best judgement (PM me if you’re interesting in my own general purpose checklist)
There are many sides to being ‘realistic’ and you can choose how much to follow. The best thing is to generally be involved in the aviation community and keep learning :)

4 Likes

Thx for linking my Guide!

2 Likes

I have been on so many red eye flights and see the nav lights on during all time while I am waiting at gate, I think nav lights should be on before filing a flight plan

3 Likes

Exactly what i wanted.

4 Likes

No, you need to be ready to push when requesting it, doors are closed before contacting ATC.

If with “test flight controls” you mean flaps and spoilers these need to be done before the request of taxi.

These to my knowledge are activated before getting on the runway.

All aircraft have different needs, I know you are talking about a B772 but you said Airbus too, so I assume a large amount of aircraft.

This can be turned on even before, also MSL means from sea level so if you are taking off from an airport of 5000ft elevation is already turned on? You meant AGL I think.

This is very high climb rate, I would suggest not more than +2200ft per minute.

From here seems you turn off landing lights at cruise level, no they are turned off / on when reaching 10.000ft MSL.

Flaps are engaged at around 8000ft (first degrees), from here seems you turn them from way higher altitude.

Quite low speed on final for a B772 isn’t it? Also GS or IAS?

In most airports there is ILS approach which give you a glideslope, the rate of descend from when you enter the cone to the touch down is around -800 / -600, -200 may be the touch down vertical speed.

All in all your method of flying isn’t wrong, you probably need a better explanation of things as they aren’t very clear. Good luck!

7 Likes

I know that @GreenFire kindly linked it already, but I would like to stress, that the IF User Guide is a fantastic resource to learn how to fly realistically:

3 Likes

When decent starts I believe that when seatbelt signs go on and no smoking stays on the entire flight

(also seatbelt on before pushback and same with no smoking sign)

1 Like

I’ve been on flights that turn on seatbelts again at 18k ft when descending

2 Likes

Ive had flights when they turn seatbelt signs on at 10k feet.

1 Like

Ok lets stop replying. If you look at the replies above you will see that most likely what you are typing has already been answered.

1 Like

These go off after the engines have stopped completely.

They stay on at all times.

Probably should be using trim.

Turn on before pushback.

1 Like

I also like the idea of this but either way I think everyone has their own type of “realistic” on Infinite Flight. I think this is a good routine but there are things you can do like @Thunderbolt and everyone else have been saying.

1 Like

Like others have said, close the doors first.

What exactly do you mean by sequence?
Here’s a better way to do the taxiing bit

After pushback, start engine number one. After #1 is stable,:
Set the flaps
Shutoff the APU
Test the flight controls
Request taxi
[after clearance is received]
Readback
Release the parking brake

Woah woah woah! Hold up. Turn on the seat belt sign after fuelling is complete. The sign must be on when ever the engines are running.

Like said before, this should be done before requesting taxi.

Same every flight? These change depending on…
. Runway length
. flaps
. weather
. wight
. Other variables

Well, this is pilot preference. Typically IRL it is engaged between 1000 and 2000 AGL.

Also depends on weights, winds, airspeed, etc

Over FL280, speed should be measured in mach. Not IAS.

Ok, well, spoilers should be used sparingly. Of course, use them if you need them, but why kill energy for the sake of it? This is quite early for flaps too.

In a lot of aircraft, full flaps are not always needed. It’s a common misconception. For example, in a 737, the default flap setting is 30°. Full in a 73 is 40°. Flaps 40° can and is used, but not as often. Obviously this is A/C specific though.

Why not follow the glide slope on the ILS if there is one? If not, that’s pretty slow anyway. -700 would be typical for a standard slope.

This is quite early. Like I said early, this should be done once the engines are not running.

Haha 😆 we’ve all done it!

I know I have breezed over quite a lot here. Please feel free to ask any questions. You should be able to find more specific tutorials around on here, YouTube, and other platforms. Hope this helps!

3 Likes

Very helpful to newcomers to Infinite flight and a great tutorial, but I have one question Don’t we on beacon lights right before turning on the engine?

1 Like

I think that there are different levels of realism. The basic being flight number, callsign, Aircraft type, etc. and something a little more advanced being following to the letter, the exact flight plans, schedules, and countless other things. I am not sure what the other IF pilots do because different airlines follow different procedures, but here is my personal opinion on what has been written above. I won’t take into account the rest of other IFC users in this case because the question phrased is more towards a personal opinion. If it helps, I also mainly fly the A359 in IF. On a side note, I work at the airport, so the ground procedures are nothing new to me.

Seems okay to me, I turn on the Seatbelts and No Smoking Sign as well at this stage.

The doors first, then the aerobridge disconnects… The Cargo Doors can be closed before or after the cabin doors close. Pushback clearance is received before the beacon light comes on. Pushback then commences.

Before taxiing, I usually start engine 1 as well after engine 2, I then usually set flaps before taxiing and test the flight controls then. After that, the APU comes off. But I understand, again, different procedures for different airlines.

I am well aware that I can be wrong here, I usually turn on the strobes only for line up. Once takeoff clearance is given, the first thing I do is acknowledge, then turn on the Landing Light, set power to 50% N1, then engines at FLEX or TOGA depending on what I think is necessary for the takeoff. I don’t trim my takeoffs either (I just assume it has been trimmed), but power is not always at 85% at takeoff. This will depend mainly on experience on where to set the N1% at. Not all takeoffs on the Airbuses occur with flaps 2 either, you can set Flaps 1+F for takeoff. VR depends on the weight and takeoff power set. Turning on AP really will depend on how the aircraft appears to me.

I climb at a max rate of 2500ft/min. I am aware that I can increase the fpm of climb but I choose to max at 2500ft/min. For speeds, it will depend on weight, but I usually increase the speed upon passing 9200ft at 2500ft/min to fly quicker. At that rate of climb and Altitude, you don’t have to worry about a violation. IRL, Higher speeds can be achieved under 10000ft but IF limits that to 259kts. Landing Lights off at 10000ft Above Airport AGL and Seatbelts off depending on the weather.

Cruise is well… enjoy the scenery with coffee or tea or whatever floats the boat (or flies the plane :/ ). Same here for night flights. Nighty Night :)

Depends on my VNAV profile on the descent, but I usually just let the Aircraft descend at high speed and slow down as necessary. This depends on the Airport’s profile of altitude, terrain, etc. Flaps 1 is a bit early at this point even in the 772. Same goes for the 77W that I also used to fly full time in IF before swapping to the 359. I simply slow down as I come out of 10000ft, to avoid the violation. Seatbelts on, again depending on weather, Altitude, and landing lights at 10000ft AGL.

You can land with Flaps 3 in an Airbus, Some landings can be performed with Flaps 25 as well, but really, what makes you comfortable for the job is what should be done. You don’t have to idle at 30ft exactly. While it is good reference, I usually see how much wind is coming and from where to judge my thrust retardation altitude.

After I retract my reversers, the first thing I do is turn off the landing light. IRL, the landing lights are really bright, so turning off the taxiway with them on will basically be blinding for whoever so happens to be in the way. The seatbelts and No smoking remain on until I shut down both engines at the gate. (Again, different airline, different procedures, I usually taxi with 2 engines) My APU is on after I turn off the landing lights. As for parking at the gate, for me, it mainly depends on which gate the same aircraft departs from later (when I fly, it depends on the actual aircraft, but mainly both sectors, up to my destination and back to my origin)

Again, this question was phrased as the intent of getting a personal opinion from my perspective, and I have therefore negated the opinions of the other IFC members. I know that other IFC members have their own opinion and that is fine by me. I understand different Airlines have different procedures, some shutting down the engine after vacating the runway, etc. For me, I go all the way. I try to get the flight plans if I can find them, check out any variations and why they happen, etc. If there is only one thing I can close an eye for is a flight that usually is done by another aircraft type. Usually, because I want to explore the vast global airports for IF, and sometimes, give my input on up-and-coming IFATCs to-be who open up at different airports.

Hope my input helps the discussion :)