How to be a good tower controller on TS.

Hello IFC. I like being ATC on the TS. I am good as ground, departure, approach but not tower at a busy airport. On ATC tutorials I learned how to be tower, but no tutorials show how busy it can get and how to handle it. If there is anyone out there that’s good at tower at EGLL or something like that can you give me tips to being a good tower controller. And if there is any IFATC out there that could give me there tips that would be even better. Thanks😁

4 Likes

Really, practice makes perfect. Start small and work your way up to larger hubs. When it’s busy and you’re stuck without approach, just remember “pattern entry, sequence, clear.” Practice that, practice it, then practice it some more. And when you think you’ve practiced it enough, practice more. Hope this helps!

4 Likes

Good luck with tower ATC and i think is not too hard but you need to have skills .

1 Like

Hi Luke! I don’t know if you ever got a chance to before, but I run a blog that covers a lot of things related to controlling. Have a look here. If you ever have any questions, feel free to message me. :)

5 Likes

Check out the #tutorials section for ATC tutorials!

https://community.infiniteflight.com/c/tutorials/atc

Good luck!

2 Likes

To add to the very good advice above, places like EGLL on the TS can be unruly places and if you’re learning you might pick up bad habits there. It is only on the rarest of occasions that you will get the marriage of good pilots and controller which is what you need to have a good session there. And I speak from experience when I say busy can be really quite stressful. Sometimes less is more - especially when you’re learning.
Best wishes.

1 Like

thanks @Michael_O_Sullivan

1 Like

It also helps if you can familarize yourself with all the buttons so you don’t need to waste time looking for a particular command

2 Likes

Something that I suggest doing in busy airspace is “slowing it down”. Sounds simple right?

It starts with prioritizing what you need to do. Even sometimes in a slow airspace, there will be waves that come in to make it busy.

1. Be prepared - have an action plan, be paying attention to long-term traffic when you can

2. prioritize - Traffic closer to the airport need your priority, get them in, worry about guys further out as you can. if you need to give 360’s, do it as you need (dont rely on it). Dont worry about traffic waiting to take off. your priority is guys landing. As you have the space to depart, line them up and get them out.

3. Sequence to help yourself - if you have a prop, they need space. put them behind the jets as you can.

4. its training server - not everyone pays attention, knows what they are doing, or follow the rules. Take the training as you can. If someone else messes up on TS, its not your fault. Just remember that they do the same thing on ES when you get there - only different is you can ghost.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.