How to Assume Good Faith

With increased traffic numbers on the live servers, comes an increased number of conflicts from both the pilot and controller side. Assuming good faith is a fundamental principle when attempting to work out such conflicts. It is the assumption that all user’s actions are made to be fair, open, and honest regardless of the outcome. Most people are here to have fun and promote positivity. If this were not the case, the community that surrounds Infinite Flight would be doomed from the start! (As you can see we do pretty well for ourself hehe)

How to assume good faith
Everyone makes mistakes whether it be butchering an inbound procedure, or making an unjustified ghost. Most of the time we can correct such mistakes with a simple reminder or explanation, however disagreements are bound to arise. When disagreements happen, ill intent may not have been involved. This is where assuming good faith comes in, and it’s easy to practice. Try as best you can to explain and resolve problems, not cause more conflict, and give the other party an opportunity to reply in kind. Consider whether a dispute stems from different perspectives and try to reach common ground. Keep a cool head and invite a moderator to the discussion if things are getting out of hand.

Assuming good faith as a controller
While IFATC are expected to uphold and enforce the rules of the expert server, they are not “out to get you” per se. When ghosting, controllers should put themselves in the pilots position and determine if there was malicious intent (see more on bad faith below) or if it was a genuine mistake. Traffic permitting, IFATC have commands at their disposal to give the pilot an opportunity to fix their mistake. These include but are not limited to: Please follow instructions, Check help pages, etc.

Additionally, it is important for controllers to be patient with potential newcomers who may be unfamiliar with the rules at first but may nonetheless turn out to be great pilots. A newcomer’s behavior may seem appropriate to them, showing a misunderstanding of expert server etiquette. It is not uncommon for new expert server pilots to misinterpret a pilot tutorial or ATC command. Similarly, many are under the impression that IFATC adheres to realistic real-world procedures, however this is not possible with the amount of traffic on the server. Behaviors arising from these perspectives, while misguided are usually not malicious and should not be treated as such. Many new expert server pilots who lack a grasp of expert server etiquette eventually come around. ATC are always encouraged to only ghost when necessary and promote the education of pilots.

Assuming good faith as a pilot
Pilots are not the only ones who make mistakes on the expert server; controllers are equally as susceptible. Similar to assuming good faith as a controller, pilots should put themselves in the controllers shoes. Controllers can be juggling a lot of traffic at once and do their best to manage the loads.

Just how controllers see new pilots on the expert server, you may notice some controllers who are less experienced as well. It’s been quite apparent that there have been some long takeoff queues, unnecessary go arounds, etc. The best way to handle this is by keeping your calm and providing constructive feedback when necessary. Whining, complaining, and accusing can be seen as inflammatory hence aggravating a situation. See also : A guide to appealing ghosts

Bad faith
The exact opposite of good faith. Bad faith is generally characterized with malicious intent, fraud, and deception. Accusing others of bad faith without evidence is heavily frowned upon. Controllers should always assume good faith first, but sometimes, it is apparent that bad faith is at play. These instances include but are not limited to:

• Obviously malicious call sign
  • Taxiing through others on a busy ramp
  • Spamming/clogging the frequency

Due to the rigorous background and entry process for IFATC, it would be rare for a pilot to assume bad faith on a controller. If pilots have any concerns, they may reach out to any higher ups to resolve the issue.

TL;DR
Everyone has made mistakes at some point but oftentimes, these mistakes are not out of bad intent. By assuming good faith, one is assuming best intentions of the opposing party, regardless of outcome. The other party might have had a “doh” moment and a simple reminder and explanation might resolve things, however if a disagreement does arise, keep a level head and an open mind. Most people are here to have fun, not to ruin the experience for others. Let’s all work together in promoting a positive environment during these unprecedented times. I’m willing to discuss below!

63 Likes

Couldn’t have said it better. I like to think of as not letting the vinegar into the wound, because that is P.A.I.N.F.U.L.

2 Likes

MaxSez: @naro… Thank you for the Philosophy/ Theology lesson , Sir. I’ll keep it in mind.
I’ve been accused of having bad faith often. However, Its my nature not nurture. I’ve always been a Curmudgeon!
MadMaxSends

(Note: cur·mudg·eon /kərˈməjən/
noun

1. a bad-tempered person, especially an old one.)

(Note: Assumption Defined; 1) A statement assumed to be true. 2) A practice that is taken for granite. 3) The taking of power of possession of something. 4) audacious even arrogant Belief something you have no right to. 5) taken for granite. ) (Source: Dictionary)

9 Likes

Thank you for this!

You’re very welcome! I’m hoping controllers and pilots can use this guide to find a middle ground when dealing with conflicts. Giving the benefit of the doubt goes both ways, so we should always find ways to work together.

You are certainly right about that! Thanks!

This is where I disagree. Expert is where pilots should already know the rules and behave as such. If they dont they should remain on Training. This is a big reason behind why I have felt that Expert server has declined so much in quality. Too many pilots that think training is nothing more to gain stats to jump right to Expert with bo incling of knowledge about what the rules are. The rules are very straight forward from Training to Expert. If they are not understanding of what is expected on Expert it is because the never took the time to begin with what is expect from their time on Training. To consider that they may not know something is to create a double standard and undermine the whole premise of Expert server.

4 Likes

Often a lot of bad habits need to be changed in pilots’ transition to the expert server, so his point still stands. They haven’t had the experience of qualified ATC and may not have known they weren’t acting realistically on the training server. I see pilots requesting a runway crossing on expert when they actually want to take off. Sure, it would be good if training server accurately represented the expert server and prepared people for it, but it just doesn’t.

1 Like

I hope this speaks well to the 747-8 pilot I encountered last night who took off a taxiway at KSFO on the Expert Server…

1 Like

Yeah, some people don’t really understand the concept of the “Expert Server”. It was meant for high realism, but now people are just doing whatever they want, colliding with others on the taxiway, landing/takeoff on the taxiway. And just outright disobeying ATC commands.

I believe atc commands should be changed and different frequencies should be added to make the best experience for ifatc to utilize then in my opinion expert sever should be completely revamped with newer rules and like naro said a better understanding between pilots and atc I pray to see that day come🙏🏾

It’s all about helping each other out and finding common ground. If pilots realize that controllers aren’t out to get them for a minor error, and if controllers realize that not all pilots have poor intentions, we’ll see some better understanding from both sides.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.