How spilt coffee made an A330 divert to Ireland

Coffee, it’s a pick me up, it’s good to drink but not so good to spill on a multimillion-dollar aircraft’s controls.

On one winters day in February, a Condor Airlines A330-200 was traveling from Frankfurt, Germany to Cancun, Mexico when the pilot ordered a well-deserved coffee during the cruise. Unfortunately, the cabin crew onboard the airlines sole A330 had not given the captain a lid for his beverage and the pilot then accidentally spilled it over the controls including the audio control panel which isn’t very good considering it forms such a vital communication tool. Buttons began to melt and the flight crew was forced to wear oxygen masks, luckily no one was hurt and the captain decided to divert to Shannon, Ireland for the safety of everyone on board. The flight landed safely and the aircraft was inspected and repaired. All coffees passed to the flight crew are now required to have lids in order to avoid this from happening again

Condor’s A330 landing in Monteral full image credit

15 Likes

Ermm, OK. This is interesting. I heard something of a similar nature when on e easyjet flight (I was reading the magazine) and the FO opened a pressurised yogurt :)

2 Likes

HAHAHAHAHA

6 Likes

accidents happen he definitely learned his lesson to use the coffee holder Airbus put in next time.

3 Likes

Just one short point:

G-TCCF is a ThomasCook Airlines UK aircraft operated by ThomasCook airlines. While Condor is a sister Airline of Thomas Cook it’s not the same airline.
Hence: Please don‘t write things as “Condor captain‘s coffee“ (as it was in a headline) on here or anywhere else.

Otherwise an interesting article!

1 Like

Haha Thats funny 😂

1 Like

I’m from Australia, I’m unsure of specifics 😆

1 Like

Title spelt wrong 🤠

Split/Spilt

I guess it’s safety… How can you melt buttons with a cuppa coffee???

‘Of the six commonly recycled plastics , four can withstand temperatures of 100 degrees Celsius (212 degrees Fahrenheit) or above. According to Machinist Materials, polyethylene terephthalate – PET, or recyclable 1 – has a melting point of 255 degrees Celsius (491 degrees Fahrenheit).’

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://education.seattlepi.com/hot-water-melt-plastic-3626.html&ved=2ahUKEwjr56-m09DkAhWUX8AKHfxaCIcQFjANegQIDBAy&usg=AOvVaw3bo4gq0ZjTqEY9YTxZY2qr

3 Likes

I saw this in an Irish article before, and thought of sharing this here. Nice story.

2 Likes

My current employer has always required lids for any drink in the flight deck and our SOP is for the FA to pass the drinks on the side and not over the centre console to avoid further mishaps. This is exactly what we try to avoid!

2 Likes

No problem, just have read this too often during the last days, hence the information (not your fault that it’s wrong in basically (nearly) every article).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.