How sharply do pilots turn when seatbelt signs off?

First off - I know this should be in the real world aviation category but I am not highly ranked enough.

I was wondering how sharply pilots are allowed to turn a plane when the seatbelt signs are off. I guess it would be less than when they are on but for the sake of realism in IF I just wanted to know.

Thanks

3 Likes

Just depends on the company’s POH

1 Like

Not true at all, they’re usually turned off after 10,000ft is reached

1 Like

Ok. Thanks for the brisk response

You’re welcome.

I will say that a normal commercial operation would most likely not exceed 30 degrees of bank in a turn, but as far as the specific rate or limits, I bet it would vary slightly company to company

Also: Check out this link to another forum. A user explains rate of turn for heavy aircraft very well

"This is also in the Instrument Procedures Handbook which under *High Performance Holding on page 3-25 says that a flight director has a bank angle limit of 25 degrees.

If we use the above guidelines, then a flight director will use 3 degrees per second or 25 degrees of bank, whichever is less. My calculations give us the following bank angles and associated rate of turns1:

12%20AM "

*Information gathered and posted by user “Lnafziger” on the linked forum. Hope this helps!

4 Likes

I agree with comment about 10000 ft but in IF passengers the anouncement comes around 6,500 ft. Am usure because of this

Normal airlines: less than 30 degrees
Ryan air: causal 90 degree banks

11 Likes

That’s awesome, thank you!

Too true! I flew Ryanair once… NEVER AGAIN

what does TAS stand for?

thanks

1 Like

True Air Speed

“TAS of an aircraft is the speed of the aircraft relative to the airmass in which it is flying”

Also, here is a link describing and explaining TAS in more depth:

1 Like

The Autopilot is engaged if the seatbelt sign is off. Thus the Bank Angle is limited to the aircraft autopilot limit. On the Airbus with AP engaged the bank angle is limited based on numerous factors including speed and altitude but typically 15 deg.

Regards,

4 Likes

that makes sense, thank you

It was my understanding that pilots don’t make any turns when the seat-belt sign is on…

Not entirely true. They tend to avoid turning during cruise but some of the flights I’ve been on the plane turned while I was walking down the aisle.

We fly the aircraft as necessary irrespective of whether the seat belt signs are on or off.

In Boeings there is a bank angle selector you can use to force the AP into only conducting turns up to and including that angle. Most times it’s set to auto.

Normal operations you will bank to a maximum of 30 degrees. Any more than this (>35) and the primary flight computers will introduce a progressively heavier feedback through the column. Above 35 degrees you will also get a bank angle audio warning.

The Boeing will ‘advise’ you that you are exceeding the bank limits but will let you, the Airbus will just limit the bank.

The seat belts are put on in cruise if we encounter or think we are about to encounter turbulence. It means the passengers get strapped in, no toilets and no hot drinks to be served. That’s all.

9 Likes

ah ok. Thanks for that!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.