How old do you have to be to attend flight school?

Hello everybody I have a little question to ask how old do you have to be to attend flight school? I was thinking to attend flight school for about 4 to 5 years, I am currently 13 so I was wondering could I sign up now if there is no age restriction?

If there is no age restriction could anybody give me a few recommendations of good flight schools in Ottawa? I am planning to go to the OFC. :)

2 Likes

For a student pilot license - I believe its 16, for a commercial pilot’s license, it’s 18.

That’s in the UK - not sure about other countries.

1 Like

No sure about where you’re from, but in Australia where I live the minimum age is 14, though if you are under 18 you need written consent from a parent to attend a flying school. You can fly if you are younger, but can’t obtain a student pilot certificate until you’re 14 years old. I recommend going for a trial introductory flight (TIF) so that you can get a good feel for it, considering this may be something you’d like to peruse in the future like myself. I’m 14 by the way and this is a flight that I’ve done twice which costs about $200 ~ Australian dollars. You go up with a constructor, fly around for a little bit he or she will give you control of the aircraft. This is what happened in my case, you’ll be able to do a few touch and goes and if you’re lucky he may even let you land. When I did my first landing and I had control it did not go too well, 🤣🤣 it was my first control obviously and I wasn’t aligned with the runway. He then took control before landing to avoid an accident. It’s really enjoyable and I highly recommend this.

These are some pictures of when I went up.

2 Likes

Considering you’re from Ottawa, Canada like you said the flag carrier is obviously Air Canada. They have a cadet programme like many airlines around the world, which in simple terms is basically a pilot training programme that takes you through an interview, general aviation knowledge test, hand eye coordination assessment and mathematics/english/physics test (I think). If successful you will go through approximately 18 months of vigorous training and if proven successful after that, you may be offered a job with the airline. This is the quickest way to get into the aviation industry without going through pilot/flying school. They do this so that fresh pilots are through the doors and into the airline and also to avoid old (not so good) habits that may have been picked up through flying school. If this is what you’d like to do in the future considering you have an interest in joining a pilot/flying school I believe this is a good route to go about things. I’m not 100% sure if this is everything that cadets are required to go through at Air Canada, but I know many airlines are similar and this is what the airline Qantas offers in Australia. I know this because this is what I would one day like to get involved in.

2 Likes

Certainly in the UK you can get trial lessons from 12, start PPL at 14 and gain PPL at 16. For the flight schools I’m looking to apply for you have to be 18 to start training for your CPL/ATPL.

1 Like

That’s actually really helpful.

2 Likes

I know a flight instructor and he told me that I can start flying when Im able to use the rudder/brakes pedals

That’s what I understood

2 Likes

Thank you :)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.