How often do you rely on the vector indicator (VI)?

I always use the VI (not with autopilot engaged, of course), but I really find myself focusing on it during crosswind landings and takeoffs. I don’t care where the nose of my plane is, I care where my plane’s actually going! Haha

Anyway, here’s a link in case you want to see it being utilized in practice: https://youtu.be/ZRvdK1wS934 (Note: I’m not sure why his spoilers were deployed the entire time… Haha)image

16 Likes

I’d be amazed if someone says they don’t use it. Landing would be 10x harder

25 Likes

It is so important for smooth landings. I always try and get it so you can see both land and sky through the hole for smooth ones (unless there is a hill after the runway and in that case I just guess roughly where the horizon would be)

1 Like

Personally I only use HUD in the 787, C-130 and fighters as they have them IRL.

3 Likes

I would say 100% of the time since attempting to not use it.

2 Likes

I use it all the time. If you’re not using it, you’re doing it wrong. In the video, at the 01:03 mark, you can tell that the rudder was kicked in for the flight and released. Not sure why, but rudder was not needed on the approach. Only in the flare to get out of the crab. Not sure if its your video or not, but just worth pointing out.

10 Likes

I notice where it is pointing while on Auto land and then on final I disengage it and only look at where it is pointing and control it to the runway.
TIP: If you look at it closely it can predict stalls before the warning shows up!

I have to use it. Especially with crosswind landings. I’ve tried landing without it as a challenge on solo and my landing replay looked hideous.

1 Like

Very true. But, for realism’s sake, HUD technology is just making its way into mid-smaller sized aircraft (past 5-10 years, I’d say).

Actually, I wonder if IFD could/should add an “ultra-realistic” option with no VI/HUD in certain aircraft.

1 Like

I literally always use it - except for when I’m practising #nohud that can always be a challenge - you have to almost ‘feel’ what the planes doing…

3 Likes

Replay is only on solo though…

1 Like

That’s what I meant. 🙂 Long night

2 Likes

The vector indicator is perfect for crosswind landings. However that said, I still relish flying in low vis with windy conditions. Makes you really scan all the instruments. It is great practice

5 Likes

Nothing like chasing the needles. Haha

2 Likes

I often switch off the hud display when landing, as it really spoils the realism. I set the bottom bar with all the essentials.

I wish they got rid of the vector (or had an option for it), and added live displays. 😕

2 Likes

I guess depending on the aircraft you’re flying, a HUD would be more or less realistic.

I only leave it on in the fighters, C130, and the 78. Occasionally the 77 & 73, but I prefer flying without it. 🙂

1 Like

I rarely use it but I think it is very important for manual crosswind landings

Auto-land: never
Vector indicator: always, as long as I can actually see the runway…
ILS altitude and direction guidance: always, until I am close enough to see the runway

wow, never knew the ‘circle thingy’ was really a vector indicator.

5 Likes

oh, is that what that was for