How much runway to use when landing?

I typically land airliners between 130-140 knots, and once the nose gear hits the ground I put on full reverse thrust and stop using around 1/4-1/5 of the runway. Since I’m getting ready to transition over to expert, I wanted to know if I needed to use more runway upon landing to avoid issues with the ATC controller.

2 Likes

Exit the runway as soon as possible, especially during the most busy hours. Also, don’t activate your breaks until you turn off your reverse thrusters (60 knots)

7 Likes

IFATC won’t get mad at you for using any amount of runway, just try to exit as quickly as you can (remember to not use reverse thrust under 60kts)

5 Likes

Well I tried the “pull the rudder down” trick as landing brakes, but they never did anything so I’m going back to the parking brake. Am I doing something wrong or has this been removed?

I generally tend to use 120% of the runway. Particularly because it looks really majestic coming up the hill at the end of the runway when taxiing back to parking.

18 Likes

Here is my landing procedure, this is in no way the only or correct way to use it:

• Touch down at normal landing speed
  • Use 80-90% reverse thrust - ensuring not to go over 100% N1
  • Once at 60 knots I quit the reverse thrust and use the pull rudder back trick to slow to 40
  • Then I find a good spot to exit the runway and exit, slowing just before and during the turn.
  • Exit runway and contact ground.
9 Likes

Nope the rudder brake still works but why bother waiting for it and wondering if the plane is braking when the button is far more convenient.

3 Likes

I too use the rudder brake on all of the landings that I do. I can maintain control especially if landing with a crosswind. Otherwise, folks will be kissing the ground with their wingtips if they take their finger off the rudder.

5 Likes

I attempt to use it when taxiing but I just get paranoid and think it’s not working or I slide my finger too far down and off the screen 🤪 yeah I guess I’m a noob!

1 Like

How far do you need to drag it down? I have a bulky case on my phone so the rudder slider isn’t far enough from the edge for me to really slide it anywhere

I’ll drag my finger down to the bottom of the slider. That should be sufficient.

1 Like

I do the same, always use rudder through and after touchdown for minor corrections, even on iPad i tend to slip and end up messing up my cockpit view real bad…

2 Likes

A majestic slice of cheesecake on final …now that’s a photogenic contribution l surely need to see and add to my archive of special aviating oddities !!!

2 Likes

Like others have said: on expert: try to get off the runway fairly quickly. This doesn’t always mean use full reverse thrust and brakes, more just plan to exit efficiently. At larger airports, try to utilize the high speed exits, usually located around halfway down the runway

3 Likes

Because the parking brake is for parking, not for highspeed movement braking

1 Like

Wow. I never knew that rudder brakes existed in IF.

1 Like

It has the same use and affect. Just different applications

2 Likes

Where is the high speed exit at TNCM…still have not found it yet !!!

1 Like

@AndrewWu MaxSez: “Get off the runway as quick as possible”! “Balicks”. Remember Safety of Flight and Pax comfort are paramount if your driving a Liner. Don’t worry about the conga line behind you, That’s what Controllers get paid for. If there doing the job and setting the intervals based on craft performance ok, if there not “They” have a problem. During Hi Tempo OP’s at some point “They” will learn to uses holding Patterns, extend intervals and slow the pace, a delay,or go around ain’t no big deal. Know your arrival airports design and exit location, Roll Out, use all the runway+ that you need. Tip: set the main brake when you drop the gear release it at taxi speed, -35 All IF aircraft have nominal anti-skid and auto brake. The Rudder Brake works, lean to use it particularly to exit. Finally, expedite does not mean overspeed, as I said “Behinders” are a Controllers problem, you expedite cause the Controller wasn’t minding the store, Delay & non-mechanical Go Arounds belong to ATC. G’nite

9 Likes

Yessir, “saftey” first. The second most important thing on the expert server imo is pilot awareness. Example: Knowing there is an aircraft on final behind you, so expediting within reason to vacate the runway.

2 Likes