How much does an over head plane weigh...

Safe to say whatever the awnser is, it is minisqual but it us probably somthing. So as you would figure the atmosphere puts some weight on you (at sea level over 1 square inch it is about 14.7 lb) So here is my question I would figure an aircraft would affect that, and personaly I saw 2 opportunities, that it would rais the weight becuais it would kind of sot on the air, or the fact that it would be generaying lift it would weigh nothing, and actualy take away weight above it. Anyone know, I cant find anything about that, and I would be talikng about crusing altatude over that one inch at sea level…

What do you mean by an overhead aircraft?

1 Like

I think your autocorrect went haywire lol. Are you talking about hot and high airfields? Both of which makes it tough to climb when your heavy. Not sure how the physics work just that in Iraq was told that on really hot days the A10s couldn’t fly as high and couldn’t carry full loads and they restricted when they flew

2 Likes

No, I was saying how much weight would the aircraft put on you from crusing altatude…

So G-Forces? Not very clear what you’re asking

1 Like

answer

miniscule

is

something

raise

because

generating

actually

talking

cruising altitude

Charter an aircraft and bring a weighing scale, weigh yourself to see how much you weigh! Costly, but you should find out how an airplane at cruise alt. affects your weight.

All jokes aside, I assume it wouldnt make that much of a difference, a couple of ounces maybe.

16 Likes

LoL, sorry. I did read somewhere that when they set cabin pressure they use the departure airport altimeter as reference but the system can’t maintain that pressure at altitude so the pressure in the cabin will still be lower than on the ground and I’ve read weight scale measurements vary depending on barometric pressure of the room which just affects the readings. I don’t think your weight actually changes except g forces (or after a trip to the lavatory lol ) but I could be wrong with all of the water in our bodies lol

I read it as "when an airplane goes directly over me, it is pushing down the air pressure which I am feeling.

Either way we need a reworded question as we are all confused.

1 Like

The title is incredibly misleading and, well, let’s just say the body of the post didn’t clarify much.

If you’re asking how much it weighs, it weighs the same as it does on the ground with an infinitesimal loss due to the distance from Earth. But, when the distances in that formula are used, they’re meant to be used over light years, not thousands of feet, so the difference is mathematically negligible.

If you’re asking if there is a “weight” put upon you by the aircraft, then I don’t really think you understand the concept of weight, being your mass multiplied by the acceleration placed upon your body by the object. I feel safe in saying that the acceleration of you to the aircraft is statistically zero.

If, on the other hand, you’re asking if the mass of air in between you and the aircraft behaves like a solid mass of some sort, then perhaps look into how gasses function. In a small system, you can use approximations (an air hockey table, the ground effect upon landing), but over the course of 35000 feet vertically and infinite space (theoretically) laterally, you can’t just extrapolate that out and assume the plane is sitting on top of a solid mattress of air which then pushes down on you as if it were one object.

There are probably some convoluted mathematical formulae which would give you the exact fractional, out to the 100th decimal place, microscopic non-zero answer, but for all practical purposes, Zero is the answer as I read the question. [If you actually mean “does it have weight related to earth,” see the first part.]

6 Likes

It weighs the same as a plane…?

The plane would still weight the same on the ground

It made sen at the time, but looking back, I see what everyone is saying, so here is my best explanation…

So as we know the atmosphere is made of air, and air has a weight, that weight at sea level is 14.7psi or 14.7lb per square inch at sea level, now we also know that aircraft have a weight, but they also interact with the air around them (obviously), now my question is does an aircraft flying at cruising above you, let’s say for examples sake a 737, would that, and if so how much would that affect the atmospheric pressure at ground level, would it increase, because that aircraft is sitting on the air, or would it do down since the aircraft is sort of holding up the air above? Or neither, I can’t find anything about that, or know anything about that…

I’m no scientist, but unless the air was contained in an air tight container the plane has no impact.

Air pressure is air pressure.

Weight is weight.

Are we talking about the latter or the former? They’re not the same.

Well the pressure and weight are very closely related…

But I am curious about the weight diffrance…

In what manner?

Weight is defined by the Force found by multiplying one object’s mass by the acceleration upon it by the other object.

Air pressure is…not at all that.

The answer is qualitatively zero.

Because the air can move in all directions, the “pushing” of the plane on the air above you has a net zero effect on you. You cannot possibly quantify it as a mathematically significant number.

You’re thinking of the air as if you had a wooden table on your head and someone put an anvil on top.

That model would work if the air was solid. But it’s not. Because the air can go any direction it likes, the net effect of the downward force on the air wouldn’t directly transfer to you by some ratio as it would with a solid. You would feel none if it. The force vectors on the air would go in infinitely many directions, all cancelling out.

2 Likes

It would really also help if you could clarify what you are asking without using pronouns.

As in:

Are you asking “does a plane over your head create a weight upon you?”

Are you asking “does the plane cease to have a weight at higher elevations?”

Are you asking “is the air above the plane at higher elevations less than when at lower elevations?”

Etc.

It would be very helpful if you could ask your question with one clear, concise phrase using no stand-ins, or pronouns, or other things you think are synonyms. Science is a precise thing. Terms are very important.

Weight means one thing. It can’t be used interchangeably with other concepts.

3 Likes

So this aviation forum has turned into Basic Physics by Tim?

3 Likes

Well it is helpful for you