How many flights in real life

I want to ask real life commercial pilots.
How many times do you fly in a day?

1 Like

It all depends on the day, weather, clients, job, money, budget ect

3 Likes

Another big one, short haul, and long haul, short haul may do X amounts of flights in say 12 hours, meanwhile the long haul pilot, was able to do one flight. So yea many many factors

1 Like

I don’t fly commercially, so I’ll give you a big fat zero.

3 Likes

Depends on what crew scheduling gives you. You can bid for days off and stuff, but you usually don’t get what you want because of seniority. My dad flys maybe 3-4 day trips the most often including about 3 a day. E.x Dallas-Denver, denver-Dallas, Dallas-Okc. Then overnight or something.
Just my experience from my dad being a pilot.

1 Like

@IFATC_Andrew @Erj145 can answe this. But I’m using my best knowledge I believe pilots work 4-5 flights a day depending on how long they are and I think the FAA mandates them 12 hour days with 8 hours rest… maybe I’m wrong but that’s what I think

2 Likes

I do maybe 2 a month in CAP

1 Like

In the regional airline world I used to fly 4-6 legs a day. Schedule will vary month to month based on your bid. Some months I would fly 15 days. Some 18. All would depend on how much or how little I wanted to work and seniority of the bid I eventually got.

Corporate is realllllllllyyyy different. Usually about 1-3 legs a day. Extremely rare to do more than 4. No clue where you will go. At the mercy of scheduling. One day I am in Montana, the next in Antigua for 3 days and then Denver for 2 and back home. I work about 10-15 days a months. I fly significantly less than the commercial world but I get to spend days at places people usually go for vacation. Hard to call that “work”

On the legacy side (I know SWA, for sure) avg about 4 legs a day on domestic routes. My best friend who does international for a legacy airline flies one leg to London rest for 2 days and fly back and rest for 3 and repeat to another country. Much longer legs, but you won’t work as much. Hope that helps a little

7 Likes

It really depends if the pilot works domestically or internationally.

International pilot regularly fly 3-4 times a week. Domestic pilot fly usually 7-8 times a week due to flying short distances.

1 Like

Wow, welcome to the IFC! 😁

2 Likes

I have a friend who flys left seat for BA on the A320 (an Ex Easy Jet guy) and also anouther friend who flys the Triple for BA as well - Last time I saw him he was waiting for a slot to start the conversion work for the Dreamliner.

From what I understand @Erj145 answer gives the best reply to the orginal question.

Out of intrest ERJ145, what was the reasons for the change to Corp life and would you consider a change back in the future?

1 Like

A few. @David_Lockwood

At the regional world it was a grind for little pay at the time. Pay is better now for sure, but commuting is a pain to certain bases (that adds to the stress), some regionals have a year of reserve for certain bases and it’s usually the one you want lol. I did it for 3 years and was getting burnt out flying 90hrs a month commuting.

An opportunity came up where I am now because of two friends who work here to give Corp a shot and I took it. Hard to pass it up when you see your friends skiing, scuba diving, sitting in club seats for games and chilling on the beach at the likes of st Lucia, Maui, and Belize just to name a few while they were “working”.

I can honestly say I absolutely love it. If it came with legacy airline pay and benefits I would never leave. The best part of corporate aviation is you can keep flying till you lose your medical here. Not to mention the type of flying you do is some of best in the corporate side. Clients want to always go unique destinations where runways or facilities might not be the best. Guess who makes that go or no go call? Crew. And if we make it to said destination it’s mind blowing.

For example, heard of Moresby island? Yea, me either. I thought I was going to a beach then I looked at the map and googled it, it’s a Pvt island we were flying to. Stayed there for 5 days. Spent those days hiking, fishing, swimming hanging out with locals from other islands. This will never happen in the commercial side of things. Let alone an airline flying in there.

To answer your last question and to be completely honest with you, yes I will go back. Legacy pay and benefits is too good to pass up. I will definitely miss corporate life and flying. Some of the most challenging flying and decision making job I have ever had.

3 Likes

4 Trips a month on average equaling 8 flights. B777, predominantly choose warmer destinations (yes, we can choose depending on how long you’ve been with the company)

When on short haul it would be 3-4 blocks of work a month comprising of trips between 1-5 days. Normally 3 sectors on day one, 2 sectors on middle days and 3 on the last.

SH has become stupidly busier now!!!

3 Likes

I am training for a pilot at AA, and you get to choose how many flights you do a week, but you have a certain amount you need to do for the year

Don’t you have to be like 23 to start training for American?

2 Likes

A different type of answer from the ones you have above:

My glider club is open 7 days a week through the summer, flying commercial rides for tourists (which requires commercial pilots with a glider rating). Each flight lasts only about 20 minutes, but on busy days it’s not uncommon to fly 10 or more times. The most I ever did was 16 flights in one day.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.