How many degrees are "extended flaps"

Hey guys, I have a real quick question the closed topic “Simple Guide (Procedures/Checklist/ATC)”.

If you could take a look at the before take-off checklist (you can find it in the topic I mentioned above “Simple Guide (Procedures/Checklist/ATC)” and then open the google drive document) and then take a look at “Pushback”, how many degrees does he mean with “Flaps EXTENDED”? I really appreciate any help.

btw I didn’t know whether to put this topic in the general or support category because I’m new on the forum, haha…

EDIT: Thanks everyone! I’m using the 787-10. How many degrees do I need when I’m just under the MLW and how many degrees do I need when I’m like between the MTOW and MLW? (take-off)

1 Like

I would say it’s the amount that is required for take off :)

1 Like

I reckon any amount of flaps extended would be “extended flaps”

For the purposes of take-off, the amount of flaps required for takeoff using your OAT, Altitude, Pressure, Plane weight to calculate.

3 Likes

Usually around 10° is used.

2 Likes

Whatever flaps are needed for the weight of the aircraft. Usually this wouldnt require having flaps extended more than 10 degrees (15 for some Boeing aircraft) in a Boeing or Embraer. For Airbus you shouldnt need more than Flaps 2 if you are running around MTOW. Usually for Airbus you are using Flaps 1 or Flaps 1+F

1 Like

Where did u find the checklist

1 Like

He’s talking about those:
Simple Guide (Procedures/Checklist/ATC)

However, if you’re on Android and looking for a modern experience, check out my application:

2 Likes

What? Where do you have that info? 10 degrees is hardly never used…

“Flaps extended” reffers to every flap position above 0.

5 Likes

Wow, thanks for the quick help!! I’m using the 787-10 and I’m just under the MLW (because of the fact that fuel burning isn’t in IF yet and landing above the MLW isn’t really realistic if I’m right?) So my question is, how many degrees should I use when I’m taking off under the MLW and how many degrees should I use when I’m like between the MTOW and MLW? (using the 787-10)

1 Like

The MD-80 needs at least 11° for takeoff. The Boeing 737 uses between 8° and 14°.

1 Like

Why are you measuring flaps in degrees? Lol

3 Likes

There arent flap settings on a 737 for 8 and 14. For short runway airports like at Midway they use 10 but even that is dependent on load. Most of the time they use 5.

5 to answer your question.

Personally, when flying the 737 I use 5 on KSAN with MLW and on KLAX I don’t use any with MLW.
But what about a 787-10? How much flaps just under the MLW and how much in between MLW and MTOW?

I already answered it for the 787-10. You should not be using 10 unless you are at MTOW.

Haha, I didn’t notice that you already answered it, sorry :D

Do you really fly a B737 Sim D?

Your question is strange…flaps are measured in degrees. Check your FCOM.

For the A320 (CFM):

Position Slats Flaps Indication
0 0 0
1 18 0 1 (Approach)
1 18 10 1+F (Takeoff)
2 22 15 2
3 22 20 3
FULL 27 35 FULL

IAE is slightly different.

1 Like

Forgot to ask this, what should I use on a short runway and what should I use on a long runway? (787-10)

Here’s a list of acceptable configurations for Boeing Aircraft that I remember off the top of my head:

737 (all variants): Flaps 1 through 25.
747-400: Flaps 5 through 20
767-300: Flaps 5 through 20
777 (all variants): Flaps 5 through 20
787 (all variants): Flaps 5 through 20

If you’re having trouble deciding which flap setting to use, consider the runway length you have and how much you’re carrying. If you use more flaps, your takeoff roll will be shorter, but then your climb performance is decreased. If you use less flaps, then your takeoff roll will be longer, but you will have better climb performance. A general rule-of-thumb is to use more flaps the heavier you are. Heavy 777-300ERs will require flaps 15/20, or else you will rotate at 205 knots. The same goes for the 747-400.

1 Like

You really didn’t understand my question. Obviously flaps are measured in degrees, but you don’t say “flap 8” or “flap 14”. You use the flap position. Wouldn’t you agree that you would say “flap 2” instead of the angle itself?