How Infinite Flight Streams Data

Recently I asked Philippe to explain to me more in-depth how Infinite Flight streams an entire earth’s worth of imagery and topography data to our devices. His answers and visuals are mind-blowing! If you’re curious to read up on how this is accomplished, check out our most recent blog article.

Please share this resource to anyone you see in the community asking questions that are answered here!

I’m curious to know… does this seem more complicated or less complicated than you expected?

53 Likes

Well, this explains a lot more. Great article Jason! 👍

3 Likes

Nice article! Lots of big numbers I didn’t know about 🙂👍

4 Likes

Reading that made me appreciate the work the team does even more then i already did👍 Keep up the great work and amazing explanation

2 Likes

Awesome this is some great information it’s greatly appreciated 👍🏽Thank you very much for this great article

1 Like

Wow. Just wow.

Amazing job Jason and Phillippe!

2 Likes

“Flat earth people, this bit is as close as we’ll get to siding (get it?) with you.”

🤣 Oh. I love Flat Earth believers.

3 Likes

@CR3W will love reading this article 🤔 So informative on everything that happens

Quite impressive how this works.

From a user/player standpoint, someone who knows nothing about data streaming of this level, this was way more complicated than I had previously imagined. It was nice to have an understanding on how I personally get the data from the servers to my device.

All I know how to do is push a button. And I think a lot of us can relate. We push the button, and expect a result/outcome. That result is a successful spawn with no issues. I have an even greater appreciation for work that goes into Content Delivery for all of us. I think with this blog post alone clarifies the need for subscriptions and the pricing models as they stand based on the numbers and quantity of data that was delivered. 70TB to me is a massive amount of data and I can imagine that number is growing month over month.

Really enjoyed reading this and think it’d be nice to see more “behind the scenes” stuff like this unrelated to aircraft development. It was nice for a change. 🙂

Only thing I didn’t like was how the Earth was a cube… seemed wrong. 🤣

5 Likes

Thank you very much for this explanation you guys. It’s very interesting to get more information of how things work in the background. For us users it’s just a button to start the game, but there’s a lot behind it. It’s cool to learn how the game you’ve been playing for years works behind the scenes.

2 Likes

I do certainly agree that it would be nice to have more articles related to the development of some sort of feature we use in Infinite Flight. Jason also explained about the topography error viewed on the certain areas. “Flying North of 60”. There is a reason behind to why parts of Norway (for example) does not have more mountainous areas.

And now this article explains even further, on how it all works, and to know that it is ran through programmed servers which add to the cost of a Pro subscription.

To add to that, it would be nice to see on how exactly a livery is created in certain aircrafts. Or else how does the developers create the physics of certain aircrafts.

The story may continue and it’s very nice to have some understanding in using the Flight simulator and be aware on certain issues that exist.

Great blog! In my opinion it’s a hard concept to understand or grasp. What I can say though is that the wording used helped so much more to understand it. Great work!

This is why an IF subscription costs what it does. Don’t complain.

3 Likes

I found this article very interesting to read as I love technology and aviation of course. Thanks Jason and Philippe for this.

Unbelievable! I did not think of this being this complicated! Very fascinating!

Great read 👍 always interesting to get some behind the scenes info. Thanks for sharing.

Sounds like a great and efficient system. Those bandwidth costs from the CDN provider must be a lot. Another idea for a blog post would be some information digging down into how other parts of the Infinite Flight data transfer protocol works (like aircraft positions, and airport data) Aircraft positions would be interesting because of latency issues and how that comes into play (and if CDNs are still used)

Partitioning it in this way helps to reduce the amount of data we need to fetch in order to display the scenery around the aircraft. As you fly, we only fetch the visible tiles based on their distance to the camera. For closeup terrain we will fetch the highest level tiles. For distant terrain we fetch the lower level ones since we don’t need as much detail there until we get closer to them.

I have to admit that I also can only push buttons and this is quite interesting to know. What all happens in the background is fascinating.
The question I have is: Adding clouds and therefore reduced visibility while flying through them or above them for example above an overcast cloud layer, without being able to see the ground, will it help to improve performance or does the rendering of the clouds alone will reduce the performance so at the end… is it equal or depending on the layers of clouds displayed?
For my understanding the performance of the simulator for several scenarios would be like this:

Flying over an overcast cloud layer: Good performance

Flying over an few, scattered or broken layer: Bad performance, as clouds/ scenery have/ has to be rendered at the same time

Approaching a cloud: Bad performance, the closer we come the more detailed the cloud. Then, entering the cloud and finally flying through it ( having just a grey white wall in front and around you ): Good performance

Or more simple: Does adding clouds or having low visibility equals each other - performance ( frame rate ?) wise… ?

Wow that’s crazy!