How I fly the Cessna Citation X

I’ve tried different IF planes, but have settled on the Cessna Citation X as the best fit for me. If you are relatively new to IF, as I am, and are thinking about trying the Citation, you might find my routine useful. Probably nothing new here for experienced IF pilots.

Takeoff: I prefer flying to taxiing, so I tend to take off from the smaller airports where you can spawn at the beginning of a runway instead of in a parking spot. The Citation doesn’t need a long runway.

Tap on the autopilot’s HDG button so the plane will travel in a straight line down the runway. Set flaps to 30 degrees, and run the throttle up to 95%. Don’t dawdle. I’ve learned not to dawdle at takeoff, to avoid getting a violation for blocking the runway, even on remote unused dirt runways.

When the Citation hits about 200 kts, I tap the autopilot’s SPD button to set the speed there while I finish the climb out. You get a violation for flying faster than 250 kts under 10,000 feet, as I found out by not paying attention to my speed.

Cruise: I rarely fly over 10,000 feet, so at my cruise altitude, I adjust the speed to around 200-225 kts. When approaching a waypoint, I reduce speed to 125 kts. The Citation is very stable and will turn on a dime at this speed. When on the new heading, I resume normal cruise speed.

Landing: I change to the appropriate ATC frequency or Unicom when in range, and follow any ATC instructions or make appropriate announcements. When in ILS/GPS range, I line up with the Localizer, set the autopilot ALT button to 1500 feet, arm the spoilers, put the gear down, and set the flaps in three slow steps, to 5, 15, and finally 30 degrees.

I set my speed to 125 kts.

As soon as I spot the runway off in the distance, I tap off the autopilot ALT button so I can manually control my descent. When the red landing tunnel appears, I pitch down to enter it and aim through the tunnel at the beginning of the runway. This will put you perfectly on the glide path.

When you get to about 50-100 feet, tap the autopilot SPD button off. You don’t need 125 kts any more. Tap the autopilot HDG button off if you have it on. You will need rudder control on the runway.

Flare and touch down. Immediately tap on the autopilot Brakes button, and pull the PWR throttle button all the way down to reverse thrust. Your spoilers will have automatically kicked in, but reverse thrust will also help you stop the plane.

Hope this helps someone.

13 Likes

I think everyone on the forums knows how to fly a plane in IF. Most of the procedures you use are far from correct, so I can’t see people using them. Sorry 😐

16 Likes

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

This is a very well thought out topic, but some parts are slightly unnecessary when flying in Infinite Flight.

I suggest not doing this. It takes all of the fun out of taking off the aircraft.

If you had a longer runway, you wouldn’t need Flaps 30. The first notch of flaps is totally sufficient.

This is why I never fly from airports that only let you spawn on the runway.

That’s a little too slow. I usually engage auto-throttle at around 220-230kts on climb out.

Even in Infinite Flight it should be possible to fly at higher altitudes than 10k feet. And 200-225 is a little too slow for a cruising speed. I suggest going around 260-270kts IAS.

This is completely unnecessary. Just keep on flying at your cruising speed.

Again, applying full reverse thrust is not needed. You don’t need all of that to slow down. I suggest pulling the throttle down to around 20%. This gives you around 30% N1 and should be totally sufficient for slowing down your Citation.

Sorry for picking your topic apart like this. I hope this helps you out :)

11 Likes

You should not be landing with autopilot on (except with an APPR equiped aircraft and only in CAT III conditions). Also 1500ft is not the altitude you should be intercepting the Glide slope on the ILS intercept unless it is at 1500 (almost all intercepts for B/C airports are between 2500-3000ft AGL).

Take off you do not maintain 200KIAS unless you are still within the second tier of an airports airspace. Once you are above or ouside that tier you accelerate to 250KIAS and maintain that until above 10,000MGL. You also do not take off at 95% unless thats the power you need for take off at due to weight, weather, altitude, etc. You will almost always just use thrust power equivalent to or below 90% N1. 95% on a Citation X is way above that. You should never need 95% in a Cessna Citation because of how powerful the engines are for that aircrafts physical limitations.

4 Likes

let the guy breathe! welcome to the forum! thanks for the post, but always double and triple check before posting, but nicely titled as it is how YOU fly it. Blue Skies!

2 Likes

Thanks. This is helpful. Much appreciated.

Thank you. I will be taking your advice.

Hello. I’ll point out below what I suggest, because as much as you might fly it this way, you shouldn’t encourage people to fly a certain way unless it is absolutely correct.

Citation’s require about 1800m, or 6000ft.

Because most aren’t bang on a heading degree, if you set it to a heading, you will go off the centerline. You also might veer off the runway, as you aren’t using rudder.

Never, ever. Unless on a tiny runway. Emphasis on tiny. Normally, 10/15.

Normally, as USA007 said, 85-90% N1, which are displayed as the tiny numbers above the throttle.

As USA007 said, once your out of that airspace (the second circle, ground to 4000ft), speed up to 250kts IAS. No one wants to go slower than they have to.

That is very slow. Probably about Mach 0.3. You would never fly a route with that speed in real life. 10000ft is a bit of an unrealistic flight altitude, anyway.

Again, you don’t need to do this. Just get the timing right.

This happens during descent and shouldn’t be done on final.

Should be 2500ft mainly.

Most people don’t use the landing aids because it has a tendency to make you try to go through the tunnels perfectly, and when you watch replays afterwards, you can see your plane flying up and down erratically. And it’s not realistic.

Actually, the speed button should never be on. The way to properly use glideslope, is to keep the plane level, but increase or decrease speed to stay on the glideslope, making very small adjustments. Heading should also not be on, as said above, the runways are not on perfect heading angles and you won’t be 100% lined up with the centerline.[quote=“Gavrilo, post:5, topic:92291, full:true”]
let the guy breathe! welcome to the forum! thanks for the post, but always double and triple check before posting, but nicely titled as it is how YOU fly it. Blue Skies!
[/quote]

Yes, but at the bottom he says “I hope this will help someone”. Incorrect tutorials don’t help anyone.

5 Likes

Thanks Gavrilo. Yes, this is just the way I have found works for me to fly the plane - low and slow like me - 78 years old. But I realize there are always better ways of doing things, and I appreciate those who have taken the time to offer helpful comments.

Happened to me too many times!

Hello, welcome to the community ^^

As with above suggestions, those are much better methods of learning to fly the aircraft properly.

I initially fly like you did but when i started manual flying it adds more hands on experience to the simulator and it does become more exciting.

There are many information and tutorials on basics of flying any aircraft in IF, do look around and enjoy your stay. Hope you experience the joy of manual soon =D

You might crash alot but it should all be kept within non violation, mostly from stalling. And its a simulator too, each crash help improve the next flight ^^

1 Like

That’s an interesting way to fly a citation X but did you know there’s a flight school that helps you to be a better trained pilot only for IF. @Robert_Summers

Well Robert if anything you have sparked an extremely thorough and precise tutorial on how to fly the X. Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.