How does the MD11/DC10 handle?

With the MD11/DC10 coming soon to IF I would like to know how it handles in the real world. The only thing I know is that it approaches very fast, even for widebodies. If you know anything about it be sure to let me know. :)

6 Likes

Not exactly sure what your post is really about. The MD11/DC10 is like a bird and any other plane. There is nothing really special about it other than that it has 3 engines. 🤷🏼‍♂️

17 Likes

Really? I though I have read somewhere it is every tricky to fly especially on approach and landing. I could be wrong too. Again, I’m just making this post to find more information.

6 Likes

I too have heard this but am unsure as to the specifics. I believe one of the Flight 705 documentaries touched on the subject.

3 Likes

And in IF it has opening cargo doors

3 Likes

The MD11 did have problems flight controls because of bad design. The DC 10 also had a poor saftey record when it was introduced. It had flaws with the cargo door. It didn’t have a plug type door and was held by a lock mechanism.

But these things don’t really effect how we play IF.

4 Likes

So does the C130, what’s new…

2 Likes

I think the question is more about flight characteristics of the aircraft. For example: What are (general) takeoff and landing speeds? How does it handle in the air, responsive or sluggish? Does it stall hard? Does it spin or is it relatively stable? There’s a whole host of aviation knowledge on this forum, if anyone has flown these aircraft or knows anyone who has it would be interesting to hear more about them!

11 Likes

Right, that is what I’m asking.

3 Likes

The MD-11 has one of the highest landing speeds because of its smaller tail plane than the DC-10. The DC-10 would be like the original 747. Something that requires a bit of strength to fly

2 Likes

I am also pretty sure the MD-11 had bouncing issues because of the high landing speeds @anon1277151 mentioned.

1 Like

Yeah I kinda remember watching an “Air Disasters” episode about that.

Yes the MD-11 that bounced at Narita. They said the correct way to deal with that is to quickly reduce thrust levels if I remember correctly. I wonder if this is going to be in IF.

1 Like

My dad used to fly the MD-11 for UPS. I’ll ask him about it.

2 Likes

Oh, that is really cool. Thank you :)

I think what the guy is right. The MD -11 has a totally different flying character. I think will be good if the sim stays true to this character.

2 Likes

Nice! Mind me asking where he was based on the MD11?

Louisville, Kentucky, USA

3 Likes

So: My dad says about the MD-11: The controls were very heavy, and it was even harder to flare for landing because the tail surfaces weren’t big enough, which as a result it was retired from passenger service. I’ll try to get more details later but we’re busy right now.

2 Likes

Thank you very much! I really hope infinite flight makes it as realistic as possible. (It is probably taking so long because handling is unique on it compared to the aircraft already in the sim)