How does General Aviation help in a time if need?

My personal story on Operation Air Drop, I know the founders so let’s see if I can paint a good story for them!

As Search and Rescue operations take place due to Hurricane Florence, a group known as “Operation Air Drop” is volunteer pilots bringing supplies to airports.

Operation Air Drop, founded by Ryan Spel of Texas. The organization came about during Hurricane Harvey in 2017. During Hurricane Harvey Operation Air Drop had over 270 volunteers, delivering more 35,000 pounds of cargo to the Texas. All these aircraft are privately owned or donated from companies.

(Southern Cross bringing supplies in from Florida and Mexico)

During Hurricane Irma, volunteers flew supplies to damaged areas throughout the state, basing aircraft from both Tallahassee and Lakeland.

Operation AirDrop also flew supplies after Puerto Rico. The Major League Baseball Players Trust provided a grant to Operation Airdrop, with support from the Office of the Governor in Puerto Rico and Unidos Por Puerto Rico, to distribute supplies to those suffering in the wake of Hurricanes Irma and Maria.

Today Operation AirDrop is flying in the Carolina bringing supplies, so far hundreds of pilots answered the call, along with two private jets and a Shorts S330.

(Pictures from Operation AirDrop)

Operation AirDrop has flown more then 200 missions so far and continues to operate.
Because of Operation AirDrop José Andrés, and World Central Kitchen have been able to fly thousands of hot meals to families affected by the storm.

If you are interested in supporting, or flying you can get more information at their website:

https://www.operation-airdrop.com/

You can also follow their Facebook page

15 Likes

Thanks for sharing, a very interesting story on the support that can be given by the aviation industry in times of need.

Slightly off topic, last aircraft pictured is a TBM?

3 Likes

It is a TBM8! Good catch!

2 Likes

Thats an awesome operation, how do you support them because i would definitely be interested in donating to them, this just shows how people can come together for a greater goal. Who needs 777Fs:)

2 Likes

Heres an easy one- Air Ambulances, GA and save many lives a day.

I don’t own the photo.

But nice photos, and a great help! I take it the Aircraft don’t physically do Air Drops, or do they?

2 Likes

Australia’s RFDS

Picture from here, Wikipedia

1 Like

Great shot!! I’ll do a story about helicopter operations!

1 Like

Interesting picture of the PC12!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.