How does approach keep track of traffic?

I was just wondering how IFATC deals with a lot of planes. For example approach frequency. How do they keep track of giving aircraft vectors to he airport, especially if there is only one approach controller

Well it’s way easier to keep track of all the aircraft when they create a sequencing train for the runway, so all they have to do is vector aircraft on the next turn and so on. It takes a lot of training to become an approach controller. It’s still a very stressful job, and a lot goes into their vectors.

3 Likes

The important think for me is to give aircrafts who are near to the airport more priority as aircrafts who are fare out an just contacted me. Because when i miss an important turn or the clearance than i have to vectore the aircraft all the ( long ) way again.

2 Likes

We have tricks like reminders and on the radar you’re blue as where aircraft that aren’t on our frequency are grey. Bottom line is we don’t forget you as long as you’re on our radar. It’s near impossible. 🙂

9 Likes

We often like to give as little amount of commands and instructions as possible so don’t take radio silence as us forgetting you. Radio silence is the goal.

9 Likes

Beautifully said @Trio

2 Likes

I’m not part of IFATC but I attend FNF often. It personally amazes me how perfect every IFATC member does there job. I think the most impressive FNF they did was the Southwest Triangle at KBWI. I contacted ATC and got a response about 10 minutes later. That should tell you how busy they are. And I still managed to land in one piece! Bravo IFATC

3 Likes

If you didn’t get a response for that long, you may have had a connection problem between you and the ATC. IFATC would never be too busy to handle another aircraft within 15 mins.

4 Likes

Yes, there’s a known issue currently so sorry for the inconvience if you’re victim to the dissapearing bug. That’s why I said if you’re on our radar. 🙂

4 Likes

I’m sorry it was around 10 minutes. Still, amazing

I have to admit It is possible that you are actually forgotten, due to the unstable app making planes disappearing from time to time. When you disappear there is nothing we can do. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

1 Like

Unless you’ve opened an ATC frequency, you may not realize that planes are color coded blue when they are on our frequency. That’s the first level of tracking. Planes not on our frequency are grey. Once a plane is on our frequency, there is a data tag that follows their plane around with speed, altitude and service listed. That’s the second level. From there it’s up to the controller to organize the airspace horizontally and vertically to get you to the airport as expeditiously as possible. That’s where a little forethought and planning goes a long way. I typically give somewhat general heading and altitude vectors for the first few, then gradually start refining them to bring you in line with the plan.

Here’s an example…

Notice the blue and grey planes, and the data tags.

One other point… even though there are a number of planes there, and many times a lot more, I’m only working the turns, so it’s not as hectic as it might seem at first glance.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.