How does a “Seasonal” flight work?

Why do airlines decide to start service to a city for only a single or two seasons? An example would be that Southwest flew to Manchester from Ft. Lauderdale, but only lasted for a Month (April). The last Non-Stop flight to Ft. Lauderdale is May 5th, and after that it reverts back to where you must connect to fly to FLL.

Is this just to see if a route is profitable? Or is it just a test or something else? I’m always curious about how seasonal flights work. Thanks! :)

1 Like

It’s usually for warm weather places in the winter. There’s much more demand to go from places like Manchester to warm weather climates during their winters.

3 Likes

So you know how places like Florida and the tropics etc gets a lot of attention in some seasons, that’s when seasonal flights come in to fit the demand.

Edelweiss, TUI, all operate under this system to send people to the US/Caribbean in the peak season for those places

But in this case I think it is just a route test

2 Likes

I mean common, who goes to Ibiza in December?!

It’s the crew they hire for those seasons (only) I feel sorry for!!

A friend of mine is a seasonal pilot and works another job during the off-season. It’s not all bad. Plus he gets paid really well for those flights (and gets vacation time in the Caribbean).

1 Like

It’s all about demand. Seasonal flights are a big thing in the U.K. here in the summer Bristol airport gets serviced by 3 flights a week with a Dreamliner from TUI. On Wednesday it’s Punta Cana, Saturday Orlando and Sunday Cancun I’m pretty sure. In the winter though here isn’t much demand as people are working and weather in those countries won’t be as good. It’s like ice cream. It’s a mainly seasonal good.

3 Likes

We used to have Ft. Lauderdale all the time until they discontinued it in 2012. But with this route back as seasonal, it could mean something. I really hope it stays

This is because a flight or route may not be profitable to operate except during certain seasons. It would not be profitable to fly from Germany to Bridgetown, for instance, except during the winter months as you all of a sudden have a massive demand for travelers looking for a warm place to go on vacation as a break from the cold climate going on currently. Hence, why you see a lot of seasonal flights to the Caribbean from Europe during the winter months in Europe. Hope this answered your question.

2 Likes

This isn’t just summer as well. I used to love in Chicago where flights to the mountains of Colorado are a big hit.

It means that they only go during a certain time of year. For example, in MSP (where I live), Air France and Condor only operate flights during the summer, but they do so every year. Air France flies every day in the summer, KLM, however, uses a different strategy; they fly year round, but only 3 times per week.

1 Like

In Europe, the summer season is usually between May-October.

Seasonal flights are based on seasonal demand, therefore, profit for an airline. For example, an airline based in Moscow, which flies to 50 destinations might choose to open a route in Winter to Innsbruck (a lot of ski resorts) because people want to go skiing. But the same route from Moscow to Innsbruck will not be profitable as in Summer ski resorts are closed and, therefore, people would not want to fly to Alps.

It is all based on demand. If the route is only full in particular season, airline might choose to fly to the destination only in that season so they don’t suffer from lack of demand in the other season

2 Likes

Well here in Pittsburgh it gets what we call “Very cold” people don’t like this, so they go to Florida, during the summer it is a comfortable 70-80 here, not (-10)-20 so fewer people go. Yes JetBlue does have a year round flight, but SWA and AA only have seasonal flights to FLL, and MIA…

A lot of Jet2’s routes are seasonal because the route is only profitable during those seasons. They fly to the Alps in the winter for skiing and New York in the holiday season for Christmas shopping trips as these are the only times of year where they are garunteed good profit.

I shall try to clear all of your doubts by presenting towards thee and example. We have what we call the “Madrugador” in BQN which means he early riser. These flights leave in the early morinign ours, hence the given name. Puerto Rican’s are obsessed with Florida and Disney, meaning that these people usually leave either in summer or winter. JetBlue adds one afternoon flight to the airport in summer and winter due to the high demand of these routes. The example isn’t really a seasonal route but it can give you an idea of what actions airlines do in certain seasons. Routes like these usually have Hug demand or are really popular during a specific season.

1 Like

for some routes eg Auckland - BALI it is only profitable for some parts of the year due to demand being low in summer. So they only fly route certain time of year or they switch to smaller plane.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.