How do you properly land in this simulator?

My usual personal instruction rate is about $100 a hour but I have a holiday special of 50% off…and I also accept bitcoins

1 Like

Yes I do. How can I post it?

Just put it on youtube and then put an unlisted link here if you are able. Thanks. :)

It depends on aircraft. I fly the 737 a lot so I’m at flaps 30-40 at around 140-150 kts. Just make sure that the FPV doesn’t get too low and if it goes below the runway apply flaps as needed. It just take practice to get it down right. Hard to explain but you’ll get it

What is FPV?

The Flight Path Vector (FPV) predicts the way of your aircraft taking speed, winds and weight into account. You can switch it on or off on the systems page.

This should help you out

@luca_delchop1 hello. just to help you bit more. try this.
go to solo. any airport any runway. dont do short final. thats the worst way to practice. do patterns.
when on final. maintain speed and glideslope with autopilot. no need to be exact. just stay somewhere around there. and simply try to maintain localizer manually. dont land simply maintain localizer. go to replay go back and try again and again. next wgen you finally are in full control of horizontal element of flight. then switch control heading and speed with autopilot and maintain glideslope manually. practice like this. you’ll be good to go. here’s a short video of my landing how do you maintain localizer and glideslope manually without appr. :)

Infinite flight. Denver to Tokyo descent and landing into tokyo. B747-400 - YouTube

My 10 cents : if your approach is clean, landing is farely easy. I would focus first on how to descent and slow the aircraft down, align with the glidescope and stay centered. If this is done right, all is well.

Fully agree that it’s all about the initial set up on approach. You need to mange your approach flight so that when you are about 8-10nm from the threshold (landing) you are at the right speed, right height and fully configured for landing. Ie for most commercial jets aim to be about 3000ft AGL, 150kts airspeed, with flaps and gear down. Then the landing is (fairly) straightforward.

My turn. Time to be 787 specific. I spend the majority of my time in IF in the A380 and B787, so I suppose I’m reasonably experienced with her now…

First things first, please please make sure you’re under the 787s maximum landing weight. Having the weight at 35% as opposed to 50% or whatever will make a notable difference to the landing characteristics of the aircraft.
Secondly, a good landing is as much about the touchdown as it is about the set up. The approach is critical.
In order to ensure a good descent, make sure you start reasonably early - somewhere around 140nm for a drop from FL360 is a rough guide - obviously shorten or extend this distance depending on your cruise alt. The reason I say a long descent is critical is the 787 is naturally a very ‘slippery’ aircraft. It has a reasonably low drag coefficient, part of the explanation for why it is so fuel efficient, and therefore tends to be difficult to slow down while descending. Flight spoilers are okay, but it’s much easier to descend a little slower with more control. Look to descend at roughly 1800ft per minute - this is a good rate for this aircraft to ensure you get down in reasonable time while maintaining control of the airspeed. Remember to set the autopilot to hold 310kts IAS once you pass below FL280 and look to start decelerating to 250kts at 15,000ft. Only use flight spoilers if you have to though. Airliners typically control their speed using a combination of thrust and pitch, only using spoilers when there’s no choice. The same mentality should be applied to IF.

Once below 10,000ft you should start looking to slow down to prepare for final approach. Inside the 787 cockpits you will see a small plaque to the left of the primary flight display (just behind the left side of the yoke) stating the maximum flap extension speeds for the airframe. They are real figures! Use them! If you extend the flaps above those speeds it will simply unsettle the aircraft - the flaps won’t break in IF - and it’ll all go a bit wrong.

Aim to be at around 180kts with flaps 15/20 when turning final. As someone before me said, you should look to be at 3000ft above the runway with somewhere around 10 miles to the runway threshold - follow the ILS star from there. The gear should be lowered at somewhere around 5nm out, and you should be ‘fully’ configured (i.e. landing flaps set, speed at roughly 152kts for the 787, gear down) by 1000ft above the runway. Make sure you’re cleared for landing or have called final then perform the landing manually, reducing the engines to idle at around 30ft while flaring slowly and using the rudder to keep the nose pointing down the runway.
Be very careful not to exceed around 80% N1 while reversing, and only use the parking brake if you have to.

As others have said, practice will make perfect eventually. But this is a rough guide on how to land a Boeing B787

Best of luck!

2 Likes

If you have $500, I’ll tell you

With my expert aviating instruction… he should not need to spend more than $300 …which will give him six flying hours…so l am a better value than you !

1 Like

But you can’t beat the best😉

Hi there,

So as I see you are mainly aiming for the B767 and B787 as you said in the comments. Though I am unsure with the B767 as I don’t fly it to be honest I can try to help you with the B787 as I do love buttering with it!

So with the B787, by the time you are on final you would need gears down and flaps full already and at the start of the red cone of the runway on the map you should be at around 4000ft and descending to land. Be sure to check your glide path too! You should be approaching at around 160kts to 180kts max (160kts suggested). Personally I just like to put the speed on Auto Pilot and do the rest myself as you would be caring about one less thing. Once over the runway or almost at the runway (Depending on your speed and altitude once at short final) you would cut the throttle to zero and just let the plane go down slowly. Always have back 2 gears go down first, then reverse thrust (Not at full!) and slowly start putting down the front gear.

It would take a lot of practice and skill but suggestions I can give to speed things up would be to just go on solo mode set yourself on approach (Not short final) with the B787 (This could also work for the 767) and just land with the auto land system and have a look on what altitude you start with, how it touches down and land, how quickly it descends etc and then try it yourself. (Be aware you need to adjust the speed even if you auto land so just set it to 160kts to 180kts while approaching and cut it off once on short final) Also, start off with no winds or turbulence at all then after you can land better and better with no winds or turbulence then you can start playing around with them.

This was how I was able to learn how to land very smoothly with the B787 so hope this also works with you! If you still need help you can also message me privately!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.