How do you properly do long haul flights?

I want to do long haul flights but I never really have the time to do it during the day. Usually, my plan is to take off before I sleep, turn NAV on and then just auto pilot it while I sleep but I fear that I will be ghosted. Plus, my phone might hang even though its a Samsung S8. I’ve never had a 7+ hour flight yet and I really want to have one. Please help me. Thanks.

8 Likes

Hi I have done a few long haul overnight flights. I have an ipad and I usually just just put low power mode on and keep it charging all night. As long as you keep a constant altitude and leave speed autopilot on as well as NAV you will be fine.

12 Likes

I have done that many times, take off and leave it on during the night. It is a fine way of doing it, so you can use your device during the day.

2 Likes

An S8 should be fine - my S6 can take it ok.
Perhaps do the first few on the casual server until you get a few flights under your belt?
As you are on Android, get the Blackr app from the play store.
It makes your screen go black, whilst apps like IF are running - so your room won’t be lit up by the display and disturb your sleep… and you won’t get screen burn in either.
Have fun!

6 Likes

won’t you get ghosted by ATC?

An S8 should be more than capable. Just ensure there are

• No unnecessary apps running
  • Use low power mode
  • Use the lowest brightness settings
  • Eliminate the HUD and activate interface timeout option in settings.

Lastly, enjoy your flight.
😌✈️

4 Likes

In long hauls it is very rare to get enroute(center) ATC. Many IFATCs usually control the Grd, Twr and approach/departure frequencies.

2 Likes

ok thank you very much

Very rare because there is no center.

8 Likes

In fact there isn’t centre ATC at all. They removed it.

Beat me to it @Qantas737guy 😏

6 Likes

Thanks @Kyle.Plane and @Qantas737guy. I thought center still existed. Thanks for informing me :)

5 Likes

Hey, long haul flights are easy if you do it at the right time.

I do it around 7 - 8PM and leave it during the night, low brightness and have ‘Low Power Mode’ on in IF settings.

If you set the right cruising speed, there’s no reason for you to get ghosted.

This is based off my experience, and I hope this helps you.

Peace out✌️🌈🍆

1 Like

To avoid violations, watch your phone until you’re at cruise. Don’t just takeoff, set NAV and leave. Also keep your speed around 0.82M

2 Likes

I tend to do mine over day. Take off in the morning and land when I get home. Of course your flight should be long enough so you don’t get home to a plane that overflew the destination.

1 Like

When I tried doing long haul flights, I placed my S7 Edge phone on my charger and then turned down my brightness. I turned on autopilot nav mode, but when I came back to my flight in about 30 plus minutes, my phone screen was on… guess it timed out or whatever without inactivity. Can someone please tell me how to avoid this situation ? Thanks:)

1 Like

I think you mean you phone screen turn off, without any reason?!

1 Like

Yes… Exactly. I just dont know why

I usually put my iPad under by bed, with brightness to 0

1 Like

I had the same problem:Overheating, can be a option that the phone turns off the screen that its not get overheated.

2 Likes

ATC do not control airspace you are in while cruising unless you cruise directly through an airports airspace, which normally ends below 10,000 feet, so you should be fine :)

5 Likes